Novem

Ren... 

Ren...

REN!

She called in vain, she called as pain ripped through her body, her head, her chest. She called even though she heard no replies, she called again and again for a small light of hope to show up somewhere in this mess of a reality.

Rei!

There was a reply.

Rei!!

They called out, just like she did.

"REI!" 

Dazai screamed through the shield she managed to pull up around him just in time the explosion hit. He could only watch on as the scene played in front of him. Rei was in the middle of the blast, her hands opened wide to take in the explosion. Fire rose high with bearing of a beast that would tear her down any second she lost control. And that might come much easier than one thought. 

She wanted to scream because of the obnoxious feeling within, yet she was scared the power would accidentally be released through the screams and blow out everything. That would turn the score back to zero, she couldn't afford it. Rei compressed the energy into every muscle of her body, storing the power in there to absorb more. The blast was far greater than she thought and she doubted it could be fully controlled.

That sensation once again tingled, that sensation whenever she failed to suppress the power inside sent goosebumps on her skin. The pure feeling of agony flowed so roughly in that body of hers, every muscle pull, every tear in the nerves system, every inch of her body ached and sore, throbbing in the ripping pain embracing her. 

Ren...

Then it wasn't pain that she felt anymore, it was something else, something she had once felt before. Something was crawling out of its hiding and it was surfacing. It was taking in the energy she consumed for her sake. Something was surging up and it demanded leadership of her body. 

"Rei! It's Arahabaki!"

The blast was absorbed entirely. All 4 bombs exploded, and all 4 of them were absorbed by her ability. It was a huge chain reaction and she managed it completely on her own. Even Dazai didn't expect her to do so well in such a short period. 

His theory was confirmed as well. On her body appeared markings similar to Chuuya's, only difference was that they were golden in shade, it might have been the alternation of the energy in her system. The markings ran up her arms, her neck, her face, they glowed golden, stronger and brighter each second.

The shield broke, stirring up dust as Rei turned back at Dazai. 

He was right about her ability, he was right about her strength. He was right about everything.

The girl didn't utter a word, she moved on as soon as she saw that the one behind was well enough. The building was still affected greatly by the explosions even though she had minimized the damage. Pieces of glass, rocks lay scattered on the floor, every now and then there would be a piece of the wall falling out, either a brick falling or a whole wall collapsing.

But Rei kept moving forward, she searched for that breathing she heard. The corridor led to numerous rooms, as if they were walking in a motel. Rei threw the earpiece away since the voices coming from it was too much a distraction. She opened each of the doors, some were blocked, some weren't blocked. 

With a kick, Rei smashed the wooden door and the metal one behind it as well, she tore the warped steel and threw it backwards, nearly hitting Dazai. The breathing was getting weaker, she was about to lose it, if not hurry the kid might die.