Viginti Tres

The counting continued in the training room, there was also a faint sound of music mixing in between the huffs and puffs. Her body groaned in exhaustion and as a sign, the girl stopped the push-ups and rolled over. Heavy breaths drawn out of her throat.

The earphones she had on fell out of her ears just when the phone in her bag went off. Rei waited for the ring to go off twice before crawling over and picking up.

"Hello?"

"Rei-chan, come to my office now if convenient."

"It's not-"

"If not, come anyways."

"Mori-san I'm-"

Tut tut tut.

Rei let out a loud groan as she threw the phone back on the bag. She let her back fall against the wall, siting herself up straight but then went slumped just seconds later. Rei closed her eyes, deepening in the music still playing on the earphones. 

"Goddammit." She stood up straight, grabbing her bag while at it and headed out.

The girl was still covered in sweats, haven't even changed her clothes yet. To be honest she didn't bother to, even if it was Mori's office that she was heading to. He said to come anyways, and so she came anyways. Rei wiped the sweats off while in the elevator, tying her hair up a bit higher. As the door opened, she was greeted by 2 guards who she threw the dampened towel at without a single warning. Rei proceeded inside the office, with the annoyed expression still on her face.

"You called for me?" 

Rei stood at the door, not a step further within. Before her eyes was the very casual sight of Mori and Elise playing catch, with the old man gasping. Mori stopped his run to look at Rei, then he turned to the little girl with a smile.

"Elise-chan..." Mori pleaded for the girl to stop and leave. But that never really happened.

"What, Rintarou?" She pouted.

"I'll come back later." Rei turned around, obviously annoyed.

"Hmph! You better make up for me, Rintarou!" Said the little girl before she vanished into thin air.

Rei turned back around only to watch the man scratching his head with a silly smile to the girl who just disappeared. Though it took just seconds before his expression read cunning. He sat down at his desk and beckoned her to come closer, which she didn't quite follow as told. 

"As you have known, Dazai-kun defected." His fingers intertwined as he mentioned the youngster. Rei's clenched into a fist.

"Which left the guerrilla force without a leader."

She replied with the same silence.

"Akutagawa-kun is no doubt going to be Dazai's successor. But he will be under your command till then, since he's not ready to lead the force yet."

Such a sly smirk he had on his face, Rei thought. She relaxed the clenched fists once it started to hurt. The girl didn't utter a word, still kept her mouth shut while staring at her boss. Rei hadn't forgiven Mori and herself for the incident leading to Oda's death, thus her heart would always twist whenever she saw the Boss in front of her. He was the tangible reminder of her mistake.

"You've been on missions with him correct? Then I suppose you know what's best for the kid." 

"Sure, Mori-san." Rei took a step closer to the man once she gave a reply.

"Don't have to worry yourself with paper works, you'd be busy enough with Akutagawa-kun."

Rei retrieved her hand as Mori pulled back the files on his desk. She gave him a questioning look, yet his gaze was rather intimidating then for her to reach forward a bit more. Rei lowered her head for a goodbye, then proceeded out of the office. Rei strolled casually out of the room then down the hallway, the guards followed her figure until she stepped inside the elevator.