Viginti Novem

There were laughter in the air, and screams of those captured.

"How's it going doc? Any progress?" The big man gave the one in the lab coat a hard pat on the shoulder.

Slightly aching, the doctor replied. "Not much, their DNA structure doesn't match completely. It takes time for the chemicals to interact and react."

In the background were heavy breaths and noises of clashing chains. Yells and screams splashed against the gray walls, violent cries and faint whispers stained the atmosphere of its brutality.

"Please be gentle! The host is very vulnerable with the virus inside!" The doctor dashed to the child on the ground who was pulled out of her cell in the least gentle way. The drug in her system offset as result of the rough management, leaving the kid convulsing on the ground.

"Look what you've done, dumbass. Do you know how much one of them costs?!" The boss collared the henchman and with a simple flip, he was sent rolling on the ground.

"Go get Shishio in here."

Crawling onto his feet, the underling dashed out of the lab in a quick second. Soon the figure of the man named Shishio was in sight, he was on his phone.

"That is why I call you. I agree for us to meet, but it would be by my choice of place and time. I hope you don't mind."

He moved closer to eavesdrop the call.

"And this is strictly a meeting between you and me. There will be no interference from any third party, and that includes Ren himself will not be present then."

"..."

"Then I'll see you later, time and address will be sent to your email once this call ends, and it will be deleted by the next minute since you open the mail."

"A secret meeting?..."

Shishio whipped around immediately once he heard voices. And he turned around to the boss smacking the head of one of his minions. 

"What are you doing? I told you to go get Shishio, did I not?" 

The henchman was thrown on the ground once again.

"Ah, Shishio! Doc needs you in the lab, come quick will ya?"

The golden eyes of the man pierced through the scene to grasp Shishio. Yet, that gaze never succeeded in scaring him anyways, ever since the first time they met. Slipping his phone back into his pocket, Shishio walked past the two, towards the lab as told.

"That's my man!" The boss slapped the guy on the back before sliding his hand over Shishio's shoulder.

"Gotta give it to you Shishio, you've given us many of those lab rats. But still haven't got the best one yet."

"The finding is not easy, Kane." Shishio rolled his eyes.

"I know, I know. But try harder, I'm counting on you, like Yamamoto-san did."

The name still haunted him, even after all those times. Shishio tried his best not to let that look of anger expose to anyone other than himself, walking faster up ahead. 

"Now, get in there and give me some decent result."

The door to the lab closed behind him with a loud bang. Everything fell silent afterwards, only raining eyes on him. Those eyes of fear, of hatred pouring on him, crushing his soul. Only the grey orbs of his bore of regret. 

"Shishio-kun."

"Araki-sensei..." His eyes hung low.

"Hm?" The doctor continued behind his desk, not looking at the man on the other side.