Missing

YOUR POV

Things changed drastically for everyone at Hogwarts. Everything was just so quiet and all the teachers were on edge during classes. 

After supper, Ron, Harry, and I went to the hospital wing to see Hermione. Harry changed the flowers out then sat on Hermione's bedside. 
"Wish you were here Hermione. We need you... now, more than ever," Harry said, grabbing her hand that down against the bed. His face expression changed as I noticed he grabbed something from her hand.
"What's that?" I asked. 
"Guys, this is why Hermione was in the Library the day she was attacked. Come on!" Harry exclaimed. 

Ron and I followed him out of the hospital wing. Harry started to read what it said.
"'Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it.' Guys, this is it. The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a basilisk. That's why I can hear it speak. It's a snake!" 
"I'm so stupid!" I said, face-palming myself. "I've read about the basilisk a million times! My mom had a friend that was killed by a basilisk when she was in India! How could I not have known!" I exclaimed in frustration. 
"But if it kills by looking people in the eye, why is it no one's dead?" Ron asked. That was a good question.
"Because no one did look it in the eye," Harry said as we stared out one of the windows. I was ow catching on to what he meant.
"Not directly, at least. Colin saw it through his camera. Justin...Justin must have seen the basilisk through Nearly Headless Nick. Nick got the full blast of it- but he's a ghost- he couldn't die again. And Hermione..."
"-She had the mirror! I bet you anything she was using it to look around corners, in case it came along. Hermione's so smart, she's lucky," I said.
"And Mrs. Norris? I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror, Harry," Ron said. Harry thought for a moment. "The water. There was water on the floor that night. She only saw the basilisk's reflection. 'Spiders flee before it.' It all fits!"
"That's what Aragog meant then," I muttered.
"But how's a basilisk been getting around? A dirty great snake- someone would have seen it," said Ron.
" Hermione's answered that, too," Harry said before showing us a section of the paper that read 'pipes'. 
"Pipes? It's using the plumbing!" Ron gagged.
"Remember what Aragog said, about that girl fifty years ago? She died in a bathroom? What if she never left?" Harry asked.
"Moaning Myrtle..." Ron and I said in unison.

"All students are to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers to the second floor corridor, immediately," came McGonnagall's voice on an intercom.
"That's a sign there's been another attack. Come on," I said, leading the boys to the corner of the second floor corridor. 

As we peaked the corner, we saw all the teachers rush up to a wall that bear another message in blood:
'Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever.'

"s you can see, the Heir of Slytherin has left another message. Our worst fear has been realized. A student has been taken by the monster into the Chamber itself. The students must be sent home. I'm afraid this is the end of Hogwarts," McGonnagall said glumly.

E-end of Hogwarts? She doesn't really mean that, does she? Hogwarts has been around for thousands of years. They can't give up now just because of a basilisk. I mean, sure they can shut the school down for a while until they got the basilisk out or something, but not shut it down completely. That's just giving up and I thought great witches and wizards like the ones that teach us everyday don't give up.

Just then, Lockheart approaches the group of teachers, smiling his cocky smile.
"So sorry- dozed off- what have I missed?"
"A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come, at last," Snape said in his borish tone. 
"My m-moment?" Lockheart stuttered.
" Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?" Snape asked, cocking an eyebrow. Lockheart's expression changed to one of almost complete terror. 
" Well, that's settled. We'll leave you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. Your skills, after all, are a legend," McGonnagall said, keeping a straight face. 
Were they seriously going to let that foolish man who calls himself a legend go into a chamber to get himself killed? It's like they're setting him up to fail!
"Very well- ah- I'll just be in my office getting, umgetting ready," Lockheart said before turning to leave. He probably went to go hide and cower like the true fraud he was. 

"Who is it that the monster's taken, Minerva?" Madam Pomfrey asked.
"Ginny Weasley," McGonnagall replied. All of our faces fell into shock once we heard the name. McGonnagall and Pomfrey left with Snape trailing behind them. 
"'Her skeleton will lie in the chamber forever.' Ginny..." Ron stressed in a whisper.