Glossary 🎵

Glossary
Brief definitions, mostly about musical terminologies and jargons. Words can be found in the story, especially words with an asterisk (*) to indicate that it can be found in this section.
Damgeen. Jargons in this form indicate its own definition in Damgeen High School Musical based on its culture and conventions.

A

Ability
Damgeen. One of the PLARA categories which focuses on the quality of every superstar in terms of music; musical talent, skill, ability, capability, and other opportunities.

Application
Damgeen. One of the PLARA categories that entails the application of music in real and/or everyday life.

Ascending
Moving upward; rising.

B

Backline
The musical equipment that is set up on stage. The term is used when referring to the gear owned and provided by the venue.

Baton
A thin stick used by a conductor to direct an orchestra or choir.

Bongo (drum)
One of a pair of small drums that are played with the hands.

Busk
To play music for tips. Usually performed outdoors, ideally around people with money.

C

Clavinet
An electronic keyboard instrument, an electronically amplified clavichord with a distinctive bright staccato sound.

Crescendo
A gradual, steady increase in loudness or force.
A musical passage characterized by such an increase.

D

Dark voice
A technique and style by singing in a naturally lower-pitched.

Dinner set
A compilation of songs performed at a gig that creates a relaxed atmosphere.

Doxology
A hymn or form of words containing an ascription of praise to God.

E

Egress
The act of going out; exit.

F

Fanfare
A short, showy, piece of music usually played for a special event. It is often played to announce the arrival of an important person.
• Damgeen. Traditional rites of initiation for new students called rookie to showcase and introduce their talents and skills; composed of two categories: Show It and Mosh Pit.

Flashmob
A large public gathering at which people perform an unusual and seemingly random act and then disperse.

Following
The fan base of an artist or group.

Front man
The lead singer. Sometimes it's a woman.

Fusion genre
A music genre which combines two or more genres, although it usually is used to refer to jazz fusion. For example, rock and roll originally developed as a fusion of blues, gospel and country music.

G

Gear
Musical equipment.

Gear head
Someone who knows a lot of details about all kinds of musical equipment and likes to talk about it.