Chapter 50

Chapter 50

Blood

Napatikhim ako. "Bridgette..."

"Kilala ko siya. Hindi lang basta kilala dahil magpinsan kami."

Now I couldn't follow anymore. Naestatwa ako sa kinatatayuan at sa hindi malamang dahilan, kinilabutan ako.

Tumikhim siya at muling bumaling sa akin. Tinitigan ulit ako gamit ang mga matang iyon.

"Minerva was my maternal cousin. For years, she was searching for me to tell me the truth about my real identity. She was able to enroll here because she knew, there's no way I'd believe her so she followed me here without others knowing it. Even Mom and Dad. Well, at first."

Sa pagkakataong iyon, gulong-gulo man ay pinili ko na lang na makinig at hindi na muna magsalita.

"Aaminin ko, naging malupit din ako sa kanya tulad ng ginawa ko sayo. Maybe because it runs in my blood. Or maybe because... I've become a rebel. Either way, she was still adamant to explain me everything. Kailanman ay wala akong balak paniwalaan siya hanggang sa ipakita niya sa akin ang birth certificate ko, ang picture ko noong sanggol pa ako na buhat ng totoo kong nanay, at..." Dumapo ang kanyang mga mata banda sa aking leeg. "Kuwintas na tulad ng sayo."

My lips parted. And just like an instinct, my right hand found the ornament hanging on my neck.

"It was given by my father," she added. "Ilang araw din akong binagabag noon... At kung kailan ko sana paniniwalaan ang lahat, saka pumutok ang balitang patay na si Minerva."

I expelled an air. It's too late when I realized I wasn't normally breathing anymore.

Bridgette chuckled without humor and wiped the small drop of her tears.

"I thought she has a separate problem and she wasn't able to handle it anymore so she did it in this room. Right there. She hang herself at the exact spot you're standing."

I whispered a curse and jolted away from that spot. What the fuck?!

"But that's what they told us." She smiled faintly then squeezed her eyes shut. "Not until I overheard that fucking Madrigal talking about Minerva's death last night. She didn't hang herself... She was fucking hanged."

Wait... what?

Parang binundol ang puso ko sa narinig. Pansamantala akong nabingi.

Sa hitsura ng mga luhang dumadaloy mula sa kanyang mga mata, masasabi kong hindi basta-basta ang memoryang nakaladlad ngayon sa kanyang utak.

The peaceful silence dominated between us. It took me a while to pull myself together and react.

"Why are you telling me this?" I asked cautiously.

She sneered, eyes slowly opening and finding their way to mine.

"Because I long accepted the possibility that I'm not a Madrigal." Bahagya siyang tumigil ngunit mataman pa rin ang mga titig. "...And that you are my sister."

I licked my lips and shifted my weight on the other side. Napailing ako, nahihiwagahan na sa eksena naming dalawa.

"You knew the truth all along," I said more than ask, making her shook her head lightly with a pinch of sarcasm.

"A hunch without proof is far from the truth. Aside from our necklaces, write-ups telling that the heiress is the VOTY ring a bell." She smirked and crossed her arms. "No wonder you were able to enter this place without adherence to convention."