Chapter 39

Chapter 39

Umbratonic (Part 2)

"That was amazing!"

Isa sa mga nananahimik kaninang babae ang lumapit sa akin para isatinig ang opinyon niya.

"You seamlessly hit the high notes! I was shocked to the point that I couldn't help it but to approach you. I'm pretty sure you'll win!" she even added.

Pinagtitinginan na kami ng mga kasama namin sa backstage. Lalo na iyong mga babaeng nakapalibot kanina kay Bridgette Madrigal, mukhang ikinasira ng araw ang ginawa ko.

My forehead puckered. Heck. What's their problem?

"Thanks." That's all I could offer to the only person who reached out to me.

"Next na ako, e. Nakakakaba ba sa labas?"

"Not really. You'll get the hang of it once you're there."

"Nice. Thank you!"

Ngumiti na lang ako kahit alam ko namang hindi niya iyon makikita mula sa mask ko.

I was tapping my foot on the ground as I messaged Klavier again.

Me:

I'm done. Where are you? I'm here backstage.

Halos magkasugat na ang labi ko kakakagat dahil kabado na para sa kanya. Hindi niya naman siguro ito palalagpasin, hindi ba? Ganoon ba talaga kalubha ang naging epekto ng usapan namin last time?

Napuno na naman ng nakakabinging sigawan mula sa labas. Of course, it's the Madrigal's princess turn to showcase her eminent talent.

Even until now my confusion's still not sated on why the hell are they allowing contestants defying their own protocol and objectives. What's the use of Umbratonic then? They made it look like a common singing contest. Tss.

"So far, siya pa lang ang may pinakamagandang comments."

"Seriously? Sino ba 'yan?"

"I'm not sure. Pero ang ganda talaga ng tone niya."

I angled my head sideways with a creased forehead. I don't want to assume but are they talking about me?

The two girls not so far away stiffened and gasped, looking away immediately as if they've been caught by cops. Inignora ko na lang iyon at natuon na ang pansin sa palabas na nagsisimula na.

"Everybody needs inspiration

Everybody needs a song

A beautiful melody

When the night's so long."

I settled on one of the seats and crossed my arms against my chest, listening and analyzing Bridgette Madrigal's vocals.

First verse but she was already able to catch my attention. It was a nice chest voice. Smooth and somehow husky. She sure knew how to pull this one off. Especially with those lowkey vibratos. And when she did a slide to a much higher part of the chorus, there was no awkward transition or strain.

"Yeah, when my world is falling apart

When there's no light to break up the dark