𝗦𝗰𝗲𝗻𝗲 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝗿𝘁𝘆-𝗧𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲: 𝗝𝗲 𝗧'𝗮𝗶𝗺𝗲

i love you

"Meg i need to meet the twins," i squealed as her and John told me stories of them

my attention was averted from the conversation as the door opened again.
i wondered who came this late since the party had always been on for
two hours. "there is no way," i whispered to myself as i ran over. "Pops," i almost
screamed as i wrapped my arms around him. i saw Teddy run from one of
his conversations to join the hug.
"my babies," Pops smiled as he saw us standing together.
"i can not believe that you are here," i smiled, Teddy, Pops, and i all moved to to a separate lounge room to speak.
"Theo i did not know you were coming," Pops said with a smile and punched the boys shoulder making me laugh. i could see where Teddy and i got it from.
"well actually as i was riding through the park in my carriage i saw him, so i jumped out of the still moving, but very slow, carriage and chased him," i laughed,
Pops rolled his eyes with a smile,
"why am i not surprised Belle?" he laughed. "she is forgetting to tell you that she was shouting my name to get my attention and basically jumped on me once we were close enough," Teddy chuckled, i pushed his arm and i nodded, "that may have also happened," i said with a smile.

soon enough i learnt that Pops was only able to drop by and had to attend a meeting with a few other business overs in the city which i did not mind, i just appreciated that he came. while with the rest of the guest i talked about my life, the only thing most of the people cared
about. only my real friends wanted
to know the stuff that i actually enjoyed
talking about. Sallie took her glass and began to lightly hit it with a spoon.
"i would like to make a toast, to my number one girl. throughout my years of growing up, no one ever tried to convince me that i was enough, i always had to do something more to meet people's expectations of perfection. apart from this girl, Belle spent countless hours ensuring i felt okay, i felt happy, she would never leave me in a bad mood. not only has she taught me to love myself but she also has taught me that no matter what life throws at you, you should always try. never give up. she is the true embodiment of
kindness, loyalty, and love, to Belle," she raised her class as did the rest of the group with the words 'cheers'. hearing her words brought the guilt back,
if i was kind i would not have took Teddy away, if i was loyal to Louis i would not have thought the things i did about Teddy, and if i truly did love Louis i would not want to go back to the night Teddy first told me he loved me.
she was so wrong, yet only i knew.

i needed some time to think so i went to the guest bedroom and sat in a small sofa by a window that over looked the city. i had so much, my life was so perfect, yet i just wasn't satisfied. i no longer cared about how many jobs i got signed for, or how many events i got asked to go to, or how many people recognised me in the street, i did not care about any of it.
i thought about Louis and just how sweet he was yet just one look at Teddy made my head turn. i thought that not seeing him for all of these years would help me lose whatever twisted love i had for the boy who broke my heart over and over yet i found myself chasing him down the parks of New York just because of one glance.

as i dwelled in my own self pity i twisted the engagement ring on my finger.
"pretty isn't it," Teddy whispered. i almost jumped out of my skin. "Teddy what if someone comes in and suspects something," i said getting up but he stopped me, "already locked," he smiled.
i rolled my eyes, he always had been a step ahead of me. he sat beside me,
"i can not believe you own multiple this place," he admired the view. i shrugged,
"it's really not all that Teddy, none of my places feel like home, it's almost just like a hotel room i used when i need," i sighed.
"trouble in paradise?" he questioned,
"always," i nodded.

"i'd go back if i could you know Teddy,
i wouldn't have gone to Paris at all, not the first time, not the second, i would have stayed in Concord with you.
life would have been ever so different,
maybe i would have been a lot happier than i am these days," he looked at me and shook his head. "you do not mean that Belle, you are doing so well, we are all so proud. you have made something of yourself. if i am being honest, i would go back to the day we last saw each other, instead of letting go i would beg you to stay, or have gone with you.
maybe i would be the one who put that ring on your finger if i just did," i cupped his cheek in my hand. his soft skin brought back sweet memories.
"we have grow older still we'll speak about these two young people as though they were two strangers we met on the train and whom we admire and want to help along. And we'll want to call it envy, because to call it regret would break our hearts," i whispered.
"i don't want to be strangers again Belle,"
his voice sent shivers down my spine.
"i love you," the words slipped from my mouth unintentionally, i was thinking them, i did not mean to speak.
his eyes widened, i pulled my hand away from his mouth, "i am sorry Teddy i-"
he put a finger to my lips to cut me off.
"i love you too Belle, i never stopped,"
his words caused my heart to ache.
it was so wrong but felt so right.