Abdul - Crowd

Keep things Halal on this month of Ramadan!

A little birthday thing for one of my readers. Happy late birthday and thanks for making me practice writing on our favourite Egyptian lover.

This is not proof read, don't hesitate to point my mistakes please!

Picture by @splatinumedits on Tumblr!

-----

"EGGS! GET SOME OF MY EGGS, THE CHEAPEST IN CAIRO! YOU WILL REGRET NOT BUYING MY EGGS!"

"WATERMELONS! WHO WANTS WATERMELONS? JUICY AND SWEET, FRESH FROM TUNIS! DON'T MISS THIS CHANCE!"

"MARHABA, MARHABA!"

"COME GET YOUR MARINATED OLIVES! THERE YOU GO MA'AM, BARAKA ALLAHU FIK!"

"TURMERIC, PEPPER, CINNAMON, RAS AL HANOUT, YOU NAME IT, I HAVE EVERY SPICE!"

Chants and calls from everywhere echoed in the marketplace. Merchants preaching the quality of their products and hollering their prices with booming voices bouncing accross the streets, people bargaining and negociating back, left and right, children running around and laughing.

This was one of the many charms of the middle eastern culture, the zouks and markets, teenagers making music with scratch-made percussions, Sahrawi people selling their minty infusions to whoever needed a tea break.

Tourists and locals alike enjoyed the joyful, feisty ambiance of the town square that was so emblematic of the country.

The morning sun was literally baking you where you stood as different smells hit you every few meters. Oranges and lemons to your left, kebab meat to your right, turn around and the earthy scent of clay pots hit you, go back and be met with the honey smell of freshly cooked Zlabia.

You loved and hated the market at the same time. The explosion of flavours and colors and the livelihood of it could really cure any depression, but the bustling streets, the pushing around of people and loud noises really put you on edge sometimes and it got tiring really quick.

You walked through the crowd of people, basket balanced in one hand as you continued on your grocery shopping spree, stopping at some stalls occasionally or dismissing others who wanted your catch your attention.

"Thank you for your purchase, ya benti! Here ya go sweetie, I added one extra apple for those cute cheeks of yours!" The old seller smiled brightly as he gave you a bag generously filled with fruits and you chuckled.

"Thank you so much!" You waved at him as you walked off. "Tell your wife I said hi!"

You strolled a little bit longer, until you realized how bad your feet started to hurt. There was nowhere to sit down around here to your dismay and you'd have to walk even more to get back to the bus stop where you came from.

People gathered more and more with each step you took and you struggled to advance further. You gripped your basket tighter against you as you pushed through the thick crowd.

That was it. That was the thing that you hated the most.

It was becoming harder and harder to even breathe, and the hot air was getting heavier by the second. It didn't help that the day was getting even warmer as noon approached, too.

You wiped your sweaty brow with your sleeve and panted heavily as you felt stuck between the sea of people. But as you thought the crowd had ceased moving and blocked you, you felt a pair of huge hands grabbing your shoulders, making you flinch.

'What the hell? Who is this?' You thought to yourself as panick washed over you. Surely it was just some man who mistook you for his sister or whatever, right?