°•°Prologue°•°

"Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."

- Anais Nin.

Chloe's POV.

A sigh escapes my lips as I look at my phone once again without any calls or messages from my best friend, whom I'm finally going to meet after six long months. Driving through the traffic, my mind wanders around the way I found him in his apartment half a year ago, intoxicated. High on drugs, that was the last thing I expected out of him.

The worst part of it all was the following week when I had to drive him to the rehabilitation center, and he wouldn't say a word. 'I'm sorry' is the last thing he said, and that was when I sat in the ambulance next to him, fearing the worst. To say I've been a mess is an understatement.

How could he not tell me anything? When I finally got into a relationship, he distanced himself from me and broke up with his girlfriend too. His career went down the drain, and life was giving him a cold shoulder. I get it, he wasn't having the best time of life, but he had me to turn to when everything was going bad.

But instead, he shut me out and stopped telling me things which is when things started falling apart. My boyfriend broke up with me because he thought I didn't care enough for him and to be honest, I don't think he's wrong. I feel bad for not giving my one hundred percent into the relationship, but my best friend is indeed more important to me.

THE RECOVERY VILLAGE

The board of the rehabilitation center makes my heart beat faster out of fear of the unknown. I only got a call two days ago, informing me that he's finally fully recovered and could be taken home. The call wasn't from him, it was a representative that I kept in touch with because my best friend decided to go silent on me.

Stepping out of my car right in front of the entrance, I let out the breath I've been holding before shutting my car door closed and walk-in. This place that I've visited almost every week but went back home with not even a glimpse of my best friend. That jerk, I swear I'm going to kick his ass once we get home. He suffered and made me suffer but never even once tried to reciprocate my concern.

"I'm here for Zachary Russell," I inform the receptionist while my eyes scan the place for any signs of Zach, the jerk of my best friend. Tapping my foot against the wooden flooring, I wait to get impatient with the amount of time the receptionist is taking to end the call.

"Are you Chloe Miller?" she asks with her glasses slipping down her nose, "That's me," I confirm before she gets back to the call. She's new here cause I didn't see her when I was here last week. She looks like a woman in her thirties dressed up in a blazer, a little too formal than the people I usually see here.

"Ms. Miller, Zachary asked me to give this letter to you before he left," A familiar face comes to view making my heart drop at what she just said. Did he leave? He left me hanging after waiting to see him for six months?!

"Linda? What do you mean by he left?" I ask her trying to keep calm as she hands me an envelope with my name written in familiar handwriting.

I look up from the envelope to see Linda press her lips together giving me a disappointed look, "I'm sorry, he insisted on leaving before you reached here and his brother was here to pick him up so we couldn't stop him,"

My heart drops at the confirmation, he left me. He left our ten years of friendship behind when he knew, I was waiting for him, "Thank you,"

Giving her the best smile I could muster up, I turn around on my heel and walk out, holding back my tears. The tears that I promised him I wouldn't shed but he turned out to be the reason behind them now.

Zachary Russell, you just lost the girl who loved you more than anything in the world.