°•°Chapter 4°•°

"Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for."

-Bob Marley

Zach's POV.

"Chloe, is that you?" I could feel my heart beating out of my chest as the fear of the unknown settles in me. She turns around and my hand drops to my side as I see the shock written all over her beautiful face.

"Z-Zach," trying my best to not turn away from her from shame, I look down at the floor. I notice her hands fisting up and I sigh closing my eyes, all I want to do is to hug her right now. Finally gathering the courage, I look up to meet her angry gaze through her teary eyes, "Leave us alone for a moment please?"

I ask the woman standing next to us awkwardly, "There's no need for that," Chloe interrupts and turns away before giving me one last look.

"Chloe, please stop!" I plead her almost whisper shouting as I followed her out but she just continued ignoring me, walking away as fast as she could in those heels of hers. I deserved the treatment but right now, I just didn't want to let her walk away after finally getting to see my beautiful best friend.

"Blake lets go!" she snaps at her brother who's sitting in the entrance lounge loud enough to alert the receptionist. Blake's gaze meets mind, "You! What the hell are you doing here?"

Shit, I'm screwed now, "Hey," I breathe out not knowing what else to say and Chloe gives me a look of disgust before grabbing Blake by his arms and pushing him out of the restaurant.

"Chloe! Please just listen to me," I beg her in a low voice following her out and gaining a few looks from my employees. Fuck, I didn't need to do this in front of them but again, if I don't stop Chloe now, I don't know if I'll be able to later.

"Listen, idiot! I fucking hate you! Do you hear that? I don't want anything to do you with you. You did enough damage," She says standing close enough to make me want just pull her into my arms more than anything but what she said made me take a step back.

"I'm sorry," I whisper trying not to let my eyes tear up, but her expression reflected the hurt that I was the reason behind.

"I think I've heard those words before, it'd have been so much better if you meant it," she gives me one last glare as a tear slides down her cheek before getting into the car and shutting the door. I watch them drive away before storming back into the building and head right into my office.

Shutting the door behind me, I take off my cap and throw it aside as I felt the first tear slip. Just for a mere second did I think, she'll pull me into her embrace but I was wrong. What did I expect when I decided to set my home base for the restaurant here?

I ignored her for two and a half years now, that's something I can't even justify. I was ashamed of myself when she drove me to the rehabilitation center and I shut her out of my life thinking it'd be the best for her. The mess I was, didn't deserve that girl to keep holding onto me.

What was I supposed to tell her? I got into having cocaine because I was failing at life and couldn't take the girl I love, being with someone else? I made the move her just in an attempt to fix our friendship but now I'm wondering if I was just being impulsive about the decision. I not only hurt her but clearly left a fucking impact on her and that was clear enough with the expression on her face. Who was I kidding? I knew that girl for ten years and could read through her mind.

Then you'd have fucking known that she'd have forgiven you two years ago.

I chuckle, walking into the washroom to wash my face. Splashing some water on my face, I rest on my hands on either side of the basin and look at my reflection, "You screwed up big time,"

I tell myself before running my wet hand through my hair before walking back into the office to inform Mr. Phillips that I'd like the staff to cover up for me. And also to find out if Chloe is the photographer he appointed for the photoshoot tomorrow.

~•~•~•

My gaze only follows Chloe as she set up the camera for the photoshoot, Dan helped her while he gave a pissed off look now and then. Chloe looked exhausted and if I didn't know any better, she cried the whole night because I decided to run over her life once again. She rolled up the sleeves of her black turtle neck t-shirt and pulled her hair into a ponytail before grabbing the camera.

"It would be nice if you leave us to do our work, Mr. Russell," Chloe looks at me narrowing her bloodshot eyes while I just smile at her instead of following her instructions. She rolls her eyes annoyed and carries on with her work while trying to ignore my steady gaze that never moved on from her.

Thanks to her dedication to work that she showed up today, I could at least get her to talk to me even if it was just business. Blake enters with some more equipment and his gaze meets mine. I notice his jaw tighten and I give him a sheepish smile trying not to make it more awkward than it already is, I know what he's capable of if it came to defend Chloe.

Stealing another glance at Chloe, I decide on visiting the kitchen to collect the coffee I asked for, "I'll be right back,"

"You don't have to come back," Chloe mumbles keeping her gaze glued to her camera and I sigh before walking away. I couldn't handle her silence around me, we were never this silent around each other. As much as I hate to accept it, standing so close to her and not being able to touch her or see her smile was starting to kill me.

"Oh sir, I was just getting these for you guys," Mandy says halting in front of me, I had to ask her name around yesterday, just to make sure she didn't go around telling the whole staff about the moment between Chloe and me.

"Thank you, I'll take them from here," I say and take over the tray of coffee mugs. Walking back to where Chloe was taking pictures, a smile involuntarily makes it's way onto my face as I look at her biting her lower lip while focusing on the camera.

She looks up to see me walking towards them and I could notice her gulp before quickly looking away, "Oh thank god, coffee!"

Dan says dramatically making me smile but he only responds to my smile with a glare. I place it on one of the tables and grab the latte with chocolate shavings before heading towards Chloe, "This is for you,"

She looks up at me startled and grabs the mug from my hand without a word as my hand briefly brushes against hers. I could feel the tears threatening to roll down her face and step away before I could cause more trouble and affect her work too. She realized the chocolate shavings and chuckles before placing her camera on the table and walking towards the glass window away from me.

I needed my best friend to talk to me before things fall apart once again because life gets fucked up at unexpected times.

~•~•~•