chapter six

Rose

     Draco and I walked to Transfiguration together. Apparently, Umbridge had decided that it would have been a glorious idea to begin sitting in on each of the teachers' lessons, and today was Professor McGonagall's turn.

     Professor McGonagall marched into the room without giving the slightest indication that she knew Professor Umbridge was there. 

     "That will do," she said and silence fell immediately. "Mr Nott, kindly come here and hand back the homework. Miss Brown, please take this box of mice - don't be silly, girl, they wont hurt you - and hand one to each student -"

   "Hem, hem," said Umbridge, employing the same silly little cough she had used to interrupt Dumbledore on the first night of term. McGonagall ignored her. 

     "Right then, everyone, listen closely - Blaise Zabini, if you do that to the mouse again I shall put you in detention - most of you have now successfully Vanished your snails and even those who were left with a certain amount of shell have got the gist of the spell. Today, we shall be -"

     "Hem, hem," said Umbridge.

     "Yes?" said McGonagall, turning around, her eyebrows so close together they seemed to form one long, severe line. 

     Draco and I snickered at the ridiculousness of Umbridge's smile.

     "I was just wondering, Professor, whether you received my note telling you about the date and time of your inspec -"

     "Obviously I received it, or I would have asked you what you are doing in my classroom," said McGonagall, turning her back firmly on Professor Umbridge. It seems as though both Gryffindors and Slytherins alike were delighted by this conversation. "As I was saying, we shall be practicing altogether more difficult Vanishment of mice. Now, the Vanishing spell is -"

     "Hem, hem."

     "I wonder," said Mcgonagall in cold fury, turning on Umbridge, "how you expect to gain an idea of my usual teaching methods if you continue to interrupt me? You see, I do not generally permit people to talk when I am talking."

     If I thought the previous remarks were funny, this was beyond hilarious. Draco and I practically fell out of our seats laughing, and I even saw Harry fighting a giggle.

     Professor Umbridge looked as though she had been slapped in the face. She did not speak, but straightened the parchment on her clipboard and began scribbling furiously. Looking supremely unconcerned, McGonagall addressed the class once more.

     "As I was saying, the Vanishing spell..."

+++

     I decided to sit with Harry, Ron, and Hermione for lunch that day, but as soon as I sat down the three of them got up and began walking away.

     "Hey, is everything alright?" I asked

     "Huh? Oh. Yes, Rose. Everything is fine. We just need to... be somewhere soon."

     I saw them whispering and could've sworn I heard something about 'telling Rose.'

    Still, I decided not to let it bother me. It seems as though I've been doing that far too much recently. I sat down beside Pansy and began eating. She stared at me every now and then, until I finally spoke.

     "Pansy, I know I'm a beaut, but is it necessary to stare at me? Is there a bug on my face or something?"

     Pansy smiled at me - I had to admit, she had a magnificent smile - and slapped my arm. "No, Rosalind! Why didn't you tell me that you were going out with Malfoy?"