chapter forty-three

Rose

     "Where are we?"

     We rushed down the sidewalk of the busy street. "Shaftesbury Avenue. I used to come to the theatre here with mum and dad," Hermione said, replying to Ron. "I don't know why I thought of it. It just popped into my head. This way."

     There were Muggles all around us and it was a miracle we hadn't been noticed. I followed Hermione into a dark alleyway and we all stopped to catch our breath. It became quieter, but the sound of car horns could be heard in the city. 

     "We need to change," Hermione said as she opened up a small bag. She reached down into it and pulled out a change of clothes for Ron first.

    "How the ruddy..."

     "Undetectable Extension Charm," I whispered, amused. 

     "You're amazing, you are," Ron said to her. She handed clothes to Harry as well and then regretfully faced me. 

     "Always the tone of surprise," said Hermione, managing a small smile as she pushed the robes into the bag. "I'm sorry. I didn't expect for you to be coming with us, Rosalind."

     "It's quite alright, I thankfully came wearing something I can move around in," I said.

     There was a thud as she shook the bag. "Ah, that'll be the books. Let's go inside somewhere, shall we?"

     After a minute or two, Ron said, "You know, we're not that far from the Leaky Cauldron here, it's only in Charing Cross -"

     "Ron, we can't!" Hermione said at once.

     "Not to stay there, but to find out what's going on!"

     "We know what's going on! Voldemort's taken over the ministry, what else do we need to know?"

     "Okay, okay, it was just an idea."

     We relapsed into a prickly silence once again. I led us into a small diner and we took our seats. A gum-chewing waitress shuffled over and Hermione ordered two cappuccinos. A pair of burly workmen entered the cafe and squeezed into the next booth. Hermione dropped her voice to a quiet whisper.

     "I say we find a quiet place to disapparate and head for the countryside. Once we're there, we could send a message to the Order."

     I looked over at the two men and ducked my face, realizing who they were.

     "Can you do that talking Patronus thing, then?" asked Ron.

     "I've been practising and I think so," said Hermione.

     "We need to go," I said very, very quietly.

     "Speak up," said Ron.

     I didn't say anything, still too shocked and nervous. I was terrified - how had they found us?

     "Let's get going, then, I don't want to drink this rubbish," said Ron. "Hermione, have you got Muggle money to pay for this?"

     "Yes, I took out all my building society savings before I came to the Burrow. I'll bet all the change is at the bottom," sighed Hermione, reaching for her beaded bag.

     I tried again. "We need to go, right now."

     Hermione had confusion all over her face. "Rose, what's going on?"

     I kept my head down. The two workmen made identical movements as they drew their wands. Ron, a few seconds late in realizing what was going on, lunged across the table, pushing Hermione sideways onto her bench. I ducked behind a wall, but the force of the Death Eaters' spells shattered the tiled wall.

     "Stupefy!" yelled Harry.

     The great, blonde Death Eater was hit by a jet of red light: he slumped sideways, unconscious. His companion, unable to see me under Draco's quidditch sweatshirt, fired another shot at Ron. The waitress screamed and ran for the door - I sent a Stunning Spell at the Death Eater who I recognized as Rowle, but the spell missed, re-bounded on the window and hit the waitress, who collapsed in front of the door. 

     "Expulso!" bellowed Rowle, and the table behind which Harry was standing blew up.

     "Petrificus Totalus!" Hermione screamed from out of sight, and Rowle fell forwards like a statue with a crunching thud. 

     "I should've recognized it, he was there the night Dumbledore died," Harry said. I stepped forwards and stared at the two Death Eaters. 

     "That's Dolohov. The other one is Rowle. They were blocking the staircase that day," I said. Ron shot me a dirty look. 

     "Nevermind what they're called!" said Hermione a little hysterically. "How did they find us? What are we going to do?"

     "We should wipe their memories. Killing them would make us just as bad as they are," Harry stated. I nodded my head, agreeing.

     I took a deep, calming breath, then pointed my wand at Dolohov's forehead and said, "Obliviate."

     At once, Dolohov's eyes became unfocused and dreamy. I let out the breath and backed away. "Brilliant," said Harry, clapping me on the back. "Take care of the other one and the waitress while Hermione, Ron and I clear up."

     I cast the charm on Rowle too, then looked back at Harry and Ron huddled over a table. 

     "...do you think we should trust her?" Ron whispered while looking at me. I quickly looked away and tucked my wand into my pocket. I still kept my ears perked so I could hear them.

     "Hermione trusts her."

     "But should we?"

     I stood up suddenly and stomped my foot on the ground. I pointed a finger as I started towards them, tired of them talking about me.

     "Listen, I didn't want to do any of the things I was supposed to. My grandfather is Merlin. My parents died because they were so repulsed by the idea of joining the Death Eaters. If you think I wanted to hurt you guys that day, you're mental. I told Hermione before it happened, too, that I didn't want her to hate me because I didn't want to do it. He's a fucking bastard, that Vol -"

     I remembered what Draco had told me, and clapped my hand over my mouth. "Oh my god."

     "What?" Hermione popped up.

     "They found us because you said his name, Harry," I said.

     Harry and Ron shared a look and then turned their faces onto me again. "I'm not following. They came because I said You-Know-Who's name?"

     "There's a taboo on it."

     It was silent for a couple seconds. "Are you sure?" asked Ron.

     "Draco told me that he overheard Yaxley telling Bellatrix that they're placing a taboo on the name so that they can find anyone who dares to speak his name."

     Harry fixed the collar of his shirt and focused on Ron. "We need to go, then."

     On the count of three, they reversed the spells upon the Death Eaters. Then, before they could do anything other than blink their eyes, I grabbed onto them as we vanished into the compressing darkness.