chapter forty-five

Rose

     I was standing behind a wall. Ron bent down to tie his show momentarily as I shot a spell at a witch who was passing by. I recognized her from the newspaper, and I held her as she fell to the ground. Ron got up and pulled her feet out of sight.

     This woman was the last of three whom we needed. There were three people lying unconscious on the ground in front of us. Hermione plucked a hair from each of their heads and put them into their own vials of Polyjuice Potion - Hermione had prepared a batch beforehand, just in case. 

     "Right. Remember what we said. Don't speak to anyone unless absolutely necessary. Rose, it's not too late if you want to take the potion too," said Hermione as she passed the potion around to the two boys. 

     "No. The ministry doesn't hate me yet. Believe me, Draco would've let me know. You-Know-Who never told anyone but the Zabinis and Malfoys about me going to Hogwarts, and I trust both the families not to mention anything."

     She nodded and fiddled with her bag, speaking to Harry and Ron. "Try and act normal. Do what everybody else is doing. If we do that, then with a bit of luck, we'll get inside."

     "I can distract them. Start asking questions. They won't ask why I'm at the ministry. Some of his followers are even scared of me, you know," I said. Ron was eyeing me up and down suspiciously.

     "This is completely mental," Harry stated to himself. At the same time, the three of them took a swig from the vial and almost immediately began turning into the ministry workers. This was the first time I had seen Polyjuice in action, so my initial reaction was amazed. I chuckled as I stared at them changing form. 

     "Completely."

     "The world's mental," Ron added in while looking at me, and I could've sworn a small smile formed onto his mouth.

     The transformation completed. Stepping outside, we marched out. Confidently, i raised my chin and said, "come on, we have a Horcrux to destroy."

+++

     The green flames of the Ministry fireplaces flew into the air. I began walking with everybody else, staying calm. I really didn't have anything to worry about, it's not as though they were searching for me

     But then I saw her face.

     Her face was gone just as I blinked. I could've sworn it was her, though...

     No. She's not alive.

     I shook my head as I continued to search for Umbridge. Occasionally, I smiled at the other Death Eaters. At some point I smiled at Yaxley, who returned the favour. I almost knocked over Gasper Avery, but he simply apologized and rushed off.

     I went after him and tapped his shoulder. "Avery, where would I be able to find Dolores Umbridge?"

     "C-courtroom, Ms Esparay. Right t-there."

     "Thank you, Avery."

     I hurried to where he had pointed. Harry had arrived, too, and I walked over by him. Umbridge had several papers on the desk she was sitting behind, her posture perfectly straight. A patronus of a cat stood beside her. "Hello, Albert. You brought a guest, I see?"

     Harry put a hand on my shoulder. "Yes, Dolores."

     "Ms Esparay, what a pleasure," she said.

     "Wonderful to see you again," I said forcefully. 

     Harry began walking around the woman whom Dolores was interrogating. His eyes were fixed on something, but I hadn't noticed what it was.