chapter forty-seven

Rose

     When I woke the following day, it was several seconds before I remembered what had happened. Maybe it was just a dream, that Ron was still here and had never left. Yet when I peered at the empty bunk, I knew it was very real, and that Ron Weasley really had left.

     We ate breakfast in silence. Hermione's eyes were puffy and red; she looked as if she had not slept. I don't blame her, I hadn't been able to sleep until late. We packed up our things, Hermione dawdling. Every now and then, she would look out the tent and search for Ron.

     It was hopeless as she came back every time sadder than she had been before. We did not discuss Ron at all over the next few days. Harry was determined to never mention his name again, and Hermione seemed to know that it was no use forcing the issue, although sometimes at night we could hear her cries. 

     "Guys, can you help me with something?" Hermione asked. She leaned forwards and held out The Tales of Beedle the Bard. "Look at the symbol," she said, pointing to the top of a page. There was a picture of what looked like a triangular eye, its pupil crossed with a vertical line.

     "I never took Ancient Runes, Hermione," said Harry. 

     "I know that, but it isn't a rune and it's not in the syllabary, either. All along I thought it was a picture of an eye, but I don't think it is! It's been inked in, look, somebody's drawn it there. Think, haven't you ever seen it before?"

     "It's the mark of the Deathly Hallows, of course!" Clara stated, looking bewildered that none of us had heard about it before. "It's famous."

     "Wait a moment." Harry looked closer. "isn't it the same symbol Luna's dad was wearing around his neck?"

     "Well, that's what I though too," Hermione replied. "I'll read more into it."

     "I've been thinking," Harry paused, "I - I want to go to Godric's Hollow."

     Clara and Hermione looked up at him but their eyes were still unfocused. "Yes," Hermione said, "Yes, I've been wondering that too. I really think we'll have to."

     "Of course I did. "You want to go to Godric's Hollow."

     "I agree," I finally said. "I think we should. I mean, I can't think of anywhere else the sword could be either. It'll be dangerous, but the more I think about it, the more likely it seems it's there."

     "I'm not exactly sure what you three are on about, but if Rose and Hermione believe it's the right thing to do then we should go as soon as possible," Clara added. "Tonight."

     I knew Harry didn't want to admit it, but he had probably wanted to go to Godric's Hollow for more than just a sword. That's where his family was taken from him. The life he could have had.

     "Remember what Muriel said?" he asked eventually.

     "Who?" The three of us girls said at once.

     "You know," he hesitated. "Ginny's great aunt. At the wedding."

     "Oh," said Hermione. It was a sticky moment: I knew she had sensed Ron's name in the offing. 

     Harry rushed on. "She said Bathilda Bagshot still lives in Godric's Hollow."

     "Bathilda Bagshot," murmured, running her index finger over Bathilda's embossed name on the front cover of A History of Magic. "Well, I suppose -"

     I gasped dramatically, not noticing how much of an effect I had until I saw Harry's face. He had drawn his wand, looking towards the entrance as if someone had stuck their hand out of the tent.