chapter nineteen

Rose

     I clutched the handle of my trunk with one and and Draco's hand with the other, pushing my way past parents hugging their children goodbye as I followed Draco onto the train. Narcissa had Apparated us to the parking lot of King's Cross Station, but had left just as quickly without a goodbye. Draco appeared to be extremely relieved, so I assumed he hadn't minded much.

     We reached the train and Draco helped me load my trunk onto it before putting his own on, then took my hand in his. We walked towards an empty compartment and sat down side by side, not wanting to be anywhere but beside each other. My head leaned against the seat and I looked up. He looked at me and smiled, proceeding to kiss my hand. "We'll be okay, Rose."

     Theodore and Blaise entered our compartment not long after with Pansy Parkinson trailing behind them. I was a bit confused because I thought Pansy would be staying with Daphne and Millicent, but I decided not to ask her about it just yet.

     I motioned for Pansy to sit next to me so that I was in between her and Draco. "How are you, love?" She asked.

     "I'm... adjusting," I replied with a thin smile. Our compartment stayed silent for many minutes and the children who walked past us looked as us as though we were all zombies; we probably looked like them, for sure. We didn't need words to express how we felt, we just knew.

     "Sorry I'm not sitting with Daphne and Millicent right now, we had a small disagreement and I didn't want to bother them."

     "Pansy, it's all right. We're happy you're here."

     Blaise described our current situation as 'dreadful, absolutely unacceptable for our last moment before we have to enter Hogwarts." He started telling us all about an ancient myth he had been reading about, when Theo began laughing with his hand on his forehead.

     "Mate, I swear if you tell us this story one more time I may just lose it."

     "At least I'm saying something. If it wasn't for me, this would be a pretty damn boring ride to -"

     He was interrupted by a loud commotion over by the opened door to the train car, and as Draco and I twisted in our seats to see what was happening, the entire car was suddenly plunged into an ashy darkness.

     I couldn't see a thing. I stood along with everyone else in my compartment, hearing some rather unkind words coming from Theodore and Pansy. Draco had reached for me in the darkness and I grabbed his arm, letting him know I was right here. 

     Draco was suddenly shoved into me, knocking us both backwards against the window. "What was that? Blaise?"

     "I don't know, it wasn't me this time."

     "Relax, boys, it's probably just first years messing around," said Pansy. I had to admit that I was a bit frightened when I first saw the black smoke because of how similar it was to the form Death Eaters take while flying and apparating. I saw Draco was afraid of the same. "Come on, Draco, sit down. We'll be at Hogwarts soon."

     His eyebrows were furrowed as he looked around for something. "Hogwarts. What a pathetic excuse for a school," he scowled. "I'd pitch myself off the astronomy tower if I had to continue for another two years."

     "What's that supposed to mean?" Pansy asked. 

     "Let's just say I don't think you'll see me wasting my time in Charms class next year."

     Blaised laugh, earning a glare from Draco. "Amused, Blaise? We'll see who's laughing in the end."

     "Draco, calm down," I said, putting my hand on his arm. He flinched at first but then looked at me and his face relaxed.