chapter fifty

Rose

     Over the next few days at Shell Cottage, Harry opts to spend a lot of time outside, to look at the ocean and be away from people. He worries over the smallest things. Ron is doubtful that they did the right thing, while Hermione is supportive.

     Bill and Fleur's cottage stood alone on a cliff overlooking the sea, its walls embedded with shells and whitewashed. It was a lonely and beautiful place. Wherever I went inside the tiny cottage or its garden, I could hear the constant ebb and flow of the sea, like the breathing of some great, slumbering creature. I spent much of the next few days making excuses to escape the crowded cottage, craving the cliff-top view of open sky and wide, empty sea, and the feel of cold, salty wind on his face. It was a great distraction, too.

     Fleur had come out of the cottage, her long silver hair flying in the breeze.

     "'Arry, Grip'ook would like to speak to you. 'E eez in ze smallest bedroom, 'e says 'e does not want to be over'eard."

     Her dislike of the goblin sending her to deliver messages was clear; she looked irritable as she walked back around the house. Griphook was waiting for us, as Fleur had said, in the tiniest of the cottage's three bedrooms, in which Hermione, Clara and Luna slept by night. He had drawn the red cotton curtains against the bright, cloudy sky, which gave the room a fiery glow at odds with the rest of the airy, light cottage.

     "I have reached my decision, Harry Potter," said the goblin, who was sitting cross-legged in a low chair, drumming its arms with his spindly fingers. "Though the goblins of Gringotts will consider it base treachery, I have decided to help you."

     "That's great!" said Harry, relief surging through me. The goblin was going to help us. "Griphook, thank you, we're really -"

     "In return," said the goblin firmly, "for payment."

     Slightly taken aback, Harry hesitated.

     "How much do you want? I've got gold."

     "So do I," I butted in. "Lots of it. As much as you'd like."

     "Not gold," said Griphook. "I have gold."

     His black eyes glittered; there were no whites to his eyes.

     "I want the sword. The sword of Godric Gryffindor."

     Harry's spirits plummeted. "You can't have that," he said. "I'm sorry."

     "Then," said the goblin softly, "we have a problem."

     "We can give you something else," said Ron eagerly. "I'll bet the Lestranges have got loads of stuff, you can take your pick once we get into the vault." He had said the wrong thing. Griphook flushed angrily.

     "I am not a thief, boy! I am not trying to procure treasures to which I have no right!"

     "The sword's ours -"

     "It is not," said the Griphook.

     "They're Gryffindors, and it was Godric Gryffindor's -" I started, but Griphook interrupted.

     "And before it was Gryffindor's, whose was it?" demanded the goblin, sitting up straight.

     "No one's," said Ron. "It was made for him, wasn't it?"

     "No!" cried the goblin, bristling with anger as he pointed a long finger at Ron. "Wizarding arrogance again! That sword was Ragnuk the First's, taken from him by Godric Gryffindor! It is a masterpiece of goblinwork! It belongs with the goblins. The sword is the price of my hire, take it or leave it!"

     Clara and I exchanged a glance with everyone else. "Well, then, if that is your price..."

     Harry moved everyone except the Goblin to a quieter place. "He can have it," Harry went on, "after we've used it on all of the Horcruxes. I'll make sure he gets it then. I'll keep my word."

     "But that could be years!" said Hermione and Clara simultaneously.

     "I know that, but he needn't. I won't be lying... really."

     Harry met my eyes with a mixture of defiance and shame. I remembered the words that had been engraved over the gateway to Nurmengard: FOR THE GREATER GOOD. I pushed the idea away. What choice did we have? It was for a good cause, I reminded myself. Just a small lie...

     "I don't like it," said Hermione.

     "Nor do I, much," Harry admitted.

     "Well, I think it's genius," said Ron, standing up again. "Let's go and tell him."

     Back in the smallest bedroom, Harry made the offer, careful to phrase it so as not to give any definite time for the handover of the sword. Hermione frowned at the floor while he was speaking; he felt irritated at her, afraid that she might give the game away. However, Griphook had eyes for nobody but Harry.

     "I have your word, Harry Potter, that you will give me the sword of Gryffindor if I help you?"

     "Yes," said Harry.

     "Then shake," said the goblin, holding out his hand.

     Harry took it and shook. Then Griphook relinquished him, clapped his hands together, and said, "So. We begin!"

     It was like planning to break into the Ministry all over again. We settled to work in the smallest bedroom, which was kept, according to Griphook's preference, in semidarkness. After many hours of planning, I left the room. Clara followed closely behind.