chapter forty-nine

Rose

     Being completely honest, something good happened by the end of today - but something much, much worse came as well.

     "I lost her once, Hermione, I'm not losing her again. We have to go after her -"

     "Rose! We can't do that. We'll get her when the time comes, but we can't just stroll into wherever they took her." She sighed. "I'm sorry."

     She was gone again, and I didn't know when I was going to see her. Or, even, if I would ever see her again.

     "Is there no one we can trust?" Ron angrily said.

     "They kidnapped her because she supported me. He was just desperate," Harry replied as he took off his jacket. 

     Many weeks had passed since Christmas, and the ground was now softened up. Ron dusted off his jacket. "I'll do the enchantments."

     I got out of the small ditch I was in and grumpily walked with Hermione. The sound of Ron's footsteps had stopped, and he let out a horrible gasp. I turned around to see what was happening and -

     Snatchers.

     2 years ago, my soul would've left my body because of how scared I would have been. Now? I've gotten so used to it that it seems strange when I'm not around them.

     None of us moved or said a word. "Hello, beautiful," said one of the snatchers. Hermione backed away and my breathing became rigid. I stepped on a twig and with a crack, we bolted. "Well don't wait around, snatch 'em!"

     And so, that's how it began. The snatchers threw spells and curses at us - I almost got hit by one, but I dodged it just in time. Hermione's yelped as a curse bounced off a tree around her. The snatchers were fast, but thankfully, we were faster.

     Until...

     Ron got hit. I helped him up and tried my best to run, but even Harry knew that we were cornered at this point. Hermione quickly threw a spell at Harry and he fell back, his face beginning to puff up. I nodded my head slightly at Hermione and looked back at the snatchers.

     I was so caught up with thinking about what was going to happen with Harry that I had forgotten all about how they definitely knew by now - I was supposed to be at Hogwarts. They were probably going to take me in to see the Dark Lord and then kill me for being disloyal. 

     That's it.

     I was about to die.

     One of the snatchers walked slowly up to Hermione. "Don't - don't touch her!" Ron called out. 

     "Leave him," said Hermione.

     "Your boyfriend'll get much worse than that if he doesn't learn to behave himself," said the snatcher. He turned to Harry. "What happened to you, ugly?"

     Fenrir Greyback was holding Harry by his clothes. He growled at the snatcher. "No, not you, Greyback, I mean him. What's your name?"

     "Dudley. Vernon Dudley."

     Harry, you idiot. Not a muggle name!

     "And you, my lovely?" he said to a struggling Hermione. "What do they call you?"

     "Penelope Clearwater. Half-blood," Hermione confidently said. Good, at least one of us is going to be safe. 

     "There's no Vernon Dudley on here," said another one of the snatchers.