chapter eight

Rose

     Gryffindor against Slytherin quidditch match today.

     Marcus has been insisting on daily practices to properly prepare us. It's safe to say that the Slytherin team had been putting in a little more effort than usual to make sure we won - our Keeper, Miles Bletchly, put a jinx on Alicia Spinnet while she worked in the library, causing her eyebrows to grow very thick and fast, obscuring her vision. 

     If we're being completely honest, I wasn't very optimistic. We'd never actually won to Harry's team. But I suppose Draco was trying to make light of this situation, because he was imitating Ron dropping the Quaffle every time they came within sight of each other.

     We were sitting at breakfast when Blaise started handing out little badges with the words "Weasley is our king" imprinted onto them. I shot him a curious glance, not knowing what it meant.

     I looked towards the Gryffindor table and saw Harry and Ron rush off with annoyed faces. 

     The frosty grass crunched under my feet as I hurried down the sloping lawns towards the stadium. There was no wind at all and the sky was a uniform pearly white, which meant that visibility would be good. 

     The team rose, shouldering our brooms again as we marched in single file out of the changing rooms into the dazzling sky. A roar of sound greeted us, but I could hear the faint sound of singing. I looked out and realized it was coming from the Slytherin section. 

     It started off as a normal game. My anger from the previous days drove me to want to beat Gryffindor even more than usual. I managed to score a goal through a hoop that Ron was unable to save when I heard the singing again.

     Weasley cannot save a thing

     He cannot block a single thing

     That's why Slytherins all sing

     Weasley is our king

     I shot a glare at Draco, knowing this was his doing. He responded by shrugging his shoulders and smirking. As much as I didn't like Ron at the moment, I thought this was a bit too much. 

     Weasley is our king

     Weasley is our king

     He always lets the Quaffle in

     Weasley is our king

     Lee Jordan was doing his best to take the attention away from the howling of my house.

     " - so it's the first test for new Gryffindor Keeper Weasley, brother of Beaters Fred and George, and a promising new talent on the team - come on, Ron!"

     But the screams of delight came from the Slytherins' end: Ron had dived wildly, his arms wide, and the Quaffle that Graham Montague had thrown had soared between Ron's arms and straight through Ron's central hoop. The Slytherins sang even louder.

     WEASLEY WAS BORN IN A BIN

     HE ALWAYS LETS THE QUAFFLE IN

     WEASLEY WILL MAKE SURE WE WIN

     WEASLEY IS OUR KING

     Harry had been sitting on his broom for a minute now, doing nothing but simply observing the match. Draco was searching for the snitch.

     But Harry had finally seen it. He dived. In a matter of seconds, Draco was streaking out of the sky on Harry's left, a green and silver blur lying flat on his broom. The snitch skirted the foot of one of the goalhoops and scooted off towards the other side of the stands, its change of direction suiting Draco who was nearer.