chapter forty-six

Rose

     Ron had been wearing the locket now. Harry had the radio in his hand.

     "...Severus Snape, newly appointed Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, has decreed that all students..."

     Harry immediately looked at me, asking if I knew anything about this. "Trust me, Harry, I would've told you if I had known."

     "...Hogwarts bears little resemblance to the school under Dumbledore's leadership..."

     "Well, of course it does. Even in Brazil Dumbledore was known for being the greatest wizard of all time," said Clara as she brewed herself some tea. 

     "...by two Death Eaters on the staff..."

     "The Carrows," I said. "They wanted me at Hogwarts. They're the reason Draco didn't want me going to Hogwarts. Well, that, and some other reasons too..."

     "All the people who went this year must be regretting it right about now," Clara said while handing me a cup of tea. "Here, take this to Hermione. It's cold out, she'll want something warm."

     I took the tea from her hand and went outside to give it to Hermione, but she wasn't there. I looked around to see if she had just walked a bit further off, but I couldn't see her. I went back inside and worriedly said, "Hermione's not there."

     Harry put down the radio quickly and rushed outside to see for himself. "I'm going to look for her, tell me if anything happens while I'm gone."

     For the first couple of minutes, the radio didn't say much. It spoke mostly about what was happening at Hogwarts and at the Ministry.

     "And now for the names of the missing witches and wizards."

     I took the radio into my hand and sat beside Clara as we both listened closely. "These are confirmed. Thankfully, the list is short today."

     When the radio finally stopped listing names, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. No one we knew was dead. Harry and Hermione came back together and Hermione looked shaken. "Are you okay?"

     "The snatchers could smell my perfume. We need to move," she said.

     "But Ron isn't strong enough to apparate," I said while already putting my things into a bag.

     "We're going on foot."

+++

     The trip to our new destination took the entire next day. Clara was silent, only spoke when she was spoken to. Hermione was planning new ideas and ways for us to destroy the Horcrux, and Harry and Ron were helping her. Clara and I stood a couple steps back. I put my arm around her shoulder as our shoes scraped the ground, the sky covered by grey clouds.

     When we finally arrived, I put my bag down on the ground and sat at a table while Hermione began cutting Harry's hair. All of a sudden, she dropped the scissors. "Oh my god," she exclaimed, surprised. Harry toucher the back of his head and got up, as did Clara and I.

     "What?" asked Harry.

     "I'll tell you in a minute."

     "Maybe you could tell me now."

     "The sword of Gryffindor, it's Goblin Made."

     "Brilliant," said Harry, holding two thumbs up.

     "No, you don't understand. Dirt and rust have no effect on the blade. It only takes in that which makes it stronger!"

     "Okay..." Harry said uncertainly.