Chapter 30:

Len's POV:

A funeral service was held for the captain. Germaine cried throughout the entirety of it. I felt so guilty, but I would do whatever it takes to protect Rillian. I wonder if Germaine would kill me if she found out I had done it.

I got dressed out of my servant's uniform and into my town clothes. It was finally Friday night. I had made up my mind...I was going to tell Miku. She had a right to know and I had to tell someone anyway. It was so nice being able to confide in someone.

I pulled on my shoes and set out down the road. A flurry of doubts ran through my mind.

'Would she still like me?'

'Would she then only like me because I was a Prince?'

'Would she believe me?'

I shrugged off the thoughts and reassured myself. Miku liked me before I was a Prince, so she'll love me just the same. She had said that she believed I would never tell her a lie so I knew she would believe me. These were all just silly doubts that could all be countered.

The only one I was slightly worried about is whether she would tell anyone or not. I know she tells Ilsie everything and I don't want to do anything that might make Ilsie hate me more than she already does...but I had to tell Miku this and I needed to do it right away.

I ran to the spot where we usually gathered. Emi and Gumi were sitting there talking.

I tipped my head. "Hullo Gumi, Emi. Would you happen to know if Miku is home?" I asked.

Emi's eyes twinkled before she answered. "She's not at home. She went to the library today instead of Sunday because her father has to make his annual trip to Elphegort then."

I smiled and began my walk to the library. 

Rillian's POV:

Flashback:

"Your highness...the reply from the prince is here." Len smiled and handed me a small letter. I snatched at it.

"Leave me." I commanded.

"Yes Princess Rillian." Len bowed and left the room.

"And no listening in!" I had yelled. There was no answer so I went to make sure he wasn't spying.

He wasn't.

I tore open the letter and read it's contents:

Princess Rillian:

Now that my father has died I feel obliged to tell you that I will not be accepting your proposal. I only ever thought of you as a friend and only let you think otherwise, because my father wished me to marry you. His only reason for this was to join our kingdoms.

I will not marry you. I have fallen in love with the green haired girl from Elphegort that your servant seems to like so much. I mean to bring her back to my kingdom as soon as possible. I trust you will be a good and dutiful ruler and let all of this go. I have no doubts the girl will come with me, she is a peasant after all. Do not worry your pretty little head over this...I will invite you to the wedding.

-Prince Kaito.

I threw the letter into the fire and watched it burn. I knew it! I KNEW IT! That girl would pay!

"Something the matter princess?" I heard a voice call from my balcony. I turned and saw Neru lounging on one of the chairs I kept out there.

"YOU!" I yelled.

Neru hopped down and grabbed the burning paper out of the fire. She read it and then threw it back in with a frown on her face.

"How dare that Prince reject you!" She raged. "It's all that stupid girl's fault!"

"I want her locked away!" I shrieked. "Throw her in the dungeon!"

"But your majesty...Len would be able to see her there. And if that filthy prince saw her there...well..."

"Well what can I do!?" I had wailed. Then a voice that was not my own spoke into my mine. I could feel my face darkening. "Go...do your work." I said to Neru.

"Really your majesty?" Neru asked. "She might be in Elphegort...I heard that they were going to be visiting family there."

"I will send someone else into Elphegort...you look in the town and if you find her..." I let the sentence hang.

Neru bowed. "Of course your majesty. But I'll need a few things." She whispered into my ear before she left.

"Ri...Princess Rillian?" I heard Len call through my door. "It's past snack time...are you alright?"

"I am fine. Have my snack sent in here today. And please also send in the new captain...I need to inform him of what his tasks are."

"Yes your highness." Len called and I could visualize his smile and bow.

I recalled that today was Friday and that Len would be heading to the town. He would probably get there before Neru given the objects that she had to find. It didn't matter. The green haired girl would no longer stand in my way. She would no longer be able to take away the only two people I cared about.