Chapter 33:

Len's POV:

I walked along the dirt road. It seemed a sacrilege that the sun should shine so brightly. I was shaking. How could I tell all of Miku's friends that she was...that she was...

How could I do it? They would be heartbroken. They would hate me for not being able to protect her. My clothing was still stained with blood. Her blood.

I made it to the usual meeting place where they were all sitting waiting for us.

"Hiya Len!" Gumi waved. "Hurry up you slowpoke we want to play!"

"Where's Miku? Why are you covered in blood?" Luki asked carelessly. How could he not be worried? How could he not care?

"What happened to you?" Oliver smirked. "Did Mr. Hatsune beat you up for bringing Miku to the dance? 

"Why don't you sit down?" Emi invited kindly. It all made it harder. "You look tired."

"I...I..." Tears started to fill my eyes once more.

"Where's Miku?" Ilsie asked.

"Did she get tired of you already?" Oliver joked. It stung.

I collapsed to my knees. "She's...she's gone and it's all my fault!" I wailed.

"What do you mean "Gone"?" Fukase asked.

"I couldn't stop them...they got her...I tried but I failed and now she's gone!" I cried , choking over my sobs.

Ilsie jumped up. "WHAT!?" She cried.

"I'm sorry...I'm so sorry." I whispered.

"Miku's dead and you're SORRY!" Ilsie yelled.

I looked up at her. What could I say? I deserved this. "I couldn't protect her..." I choked.

"YOU COULDN'T PROTECT HER!? YOU DID NOTHING!" Ilsie screamed tears now flooding down her own face. "I HATE YOU! YOU SHOULD HAVE DIED "PROTECTING" HER! SHE WAS MY BEST FRIEND AND YOU KILLED HER! I WISH YOU WERE DEAD! I HATE YOU! GO AWAY!"

"Ilsie..." Luki took her hand.

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" She shrieked. Then she pointed at me. "I DON'T EVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN! GO AWAY NOW!"

I stood.

"I'm sorry." I choked once more, and then I turned and left.

"Wait!" Emi cried.

"LEN!" Gumi yelled. "Ilsie how can you be so heartless!?"

Ilsie wasn't heartless...she was right. I should have died in Miku's place. I told Miku I would always protect her and I had failed. I deserved to die.

I walked mechanically back to the castle. I didn't want to go there and see HER. But I had nowhere else to go. Going to Miku's father's house would be worse, having to see him mourn for his daughter that I couldn't save. It was hard enough staying there overnight

I reached the castle and went inside hoping to get to my room to change quickly. I had to get these clothes off immediately.

I was walking through the main hall as quickly as I could. I rounded a corner and almost walked straight into Rillian.

"Len! Wha...what...why..." She stammered. Her eyes wide with fear.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you." I bowed and smiled weakly. "Give me a moment to change please and I will be back to serve you." I then hurried off in the direction of my room.

Rillian's POV:

Len HAD frightened me. He was covered with blood. Did he know? Had he seen what had happened? He must hate me now.

I followed him quietly to his room and stood outside the door so I could hear if he said anything.

He sat on his bed, grabbed a pillow, and cried into it. He cried and cried for the longest time and kept repeating "I'm sorry." and "Why...why must everyone I love be taken from me?"

I felt an emotion I had never felt before...

Guilt.

I felt guilty for what I had done as I stood there listening to Len's broken sobs. Never had I heard anyone sound as heartbroken and lost as he was that moment...not even when my mother had died.

I couldn't handle it anymore. I had to go. I didn't like feeling guilty. That girl had ruined my life!

But now...I had ruined Len's.

Len's POV:

I finally was able to quiet myself. The words that Ilsie had screamed repeated in my mind over and over: "You couldn't protect her. You should have died protecting her. I wish you were dead."

I wished I was dead too. Then I wouldn't have to feel anything anymore. My father and mother were dead. My sister didn't know me. And now the girl who I loved and had loved me...the first person to love me in a very long time...was dead. Killed by my own sister's decree.

The wishes were useless. I should have known better than to believe the spirit. Why had I thought that my silly, stupid wishes would come true?

I was an idiot. Miku was dead. I deserved to die. I needed to die. I couldn't handle the pain anymore.

I stood and crossed over to my desk. The drawer gave off a screech as I opened it. I picked up the knife that Germain had given me. It glittered menacingly and invitingly in my hand.

Who was there to miss me when I was gone?