The Unthinkable

Tw: angst but end with fluff.

I'm going to die.

That was the only thought that rung through Virgil's mind. People screamed and cried around him.

(Oh crap I'm listening to music while writing this and I just got g-noted)

Virgil held Roman's hand tightly. They were in the cold water, grasping onto a piece of floating wood. They had jumped off the ship before it split in half, and they could only watch as it had gone down.

"Virgil, I love you," Roman said. His lips were blue and his face was stark white.

"I love you, Ro," Virgil said.

"We were going to run away together," Roman whispered, shivering. "We were going to live in a secluded cabin in the forest."

"I know, Ro," Virgil said, pressing a kiss to Roman's cold skin. "I know, love."

"Virgil, I love you," Roman said again, tears freezing to his cheeks.

"Ro? Ro!" Virgil said. He pressed a hand to Roman's throat, praying he would still feel something.

His heart lifted slightly when he felt a soft pulsing under his fingers. Roman was alive, but barely.

The ocean had gone eerily quiet. The silence was broken by frantic shouting.

"Is anyone alive?" The voice called.

"Over here!" Virgil called out, his voice hoarse. For a moment he wasn't sure if the man heard him, but he weakly waved his arm when a light was shone on him.

The lifeboat made its way over as fast as it could. Roman was still breathing, but barely.

"Take him first," Virgil demanded, motioning to Roman.

"Sir, there is no way he is going to survive. I'm sorry," the man said.

"No! Take him or I'm not getting on with you," Virgil said. "He's still alive, I'm not leaving him," he added under his breath.

Eventually they had house red both Roman and Virgil into the lifeboat. Virgil clung to Roman's nearly lifeless body, shaking from both the cold and the fear.
...

The Carpathia had pulled all the survivors from the water. Virgil sat next to Roman, holding him close. They were in a room an original passenger had said they could stay in.

"Please, Ro. Please," he pleaded under his breath. He felt Roman stir in his arms.

"V- Virgil?" Roman said weakly, groaning. "Where are we?"

Roman tried to sit up, but Virgil didn't let him.

"Shh, Shh. Rest. We're on the Carpathia." Virgil said. "We're going to be okay."

Roman let a relieved smile spread across his face.

"We're going to have a little cabin in the forest, Vee. We made it," Roman said. Virgil leaned down and pressed a kiss to Roman's lips. They broke apart, leaving their foreheads together.

"We did, Ro. We made it."

- • - - • - • - - - • • - • • • - • - -
- - • • • - - • - - • • • - - • • - • - • • • • •
• - - • - • •
- • - - - - • • - - - • • - • • - - • - - • - -
• - - • • - • - • • • • •

Yay! Another update!

(462 words)
• - - •   •   • -    - • - •    •       - - -   • • -   -