Chapter 8: An Explosion of Emotions

TW: eating disorders, purging, self-harm

Liam laid in bed as Theo was fast asleep, unable to fall asleep. The message, "She died because you didn't protect her," ran over and over in his head. Tears lightly streamed down his face as he thought of his mother, "she died because you didn't protect her." He wrung his hand around his wrist until it was burning; he liked the pain. He deserved the pain like the emptiness of his stomach. Theo started to thrash in his sleep; Liam knew it was a nightmare.

"Theo, Theo, it's me," Liam gently called him, stroking his hair.

Theo was trapped in his dream; Tara bringing him Liam's dead body over and over again. He heard Liam's voice and opened his eyes. Theo grabbed Liam and pulled him closer to him, thankful he was alive.

"You okay?" Liam looked at him.

"I'm fine, just the usual," Theo looked into his eyes then onto his lips, pulling him closer.

Liam accepted Theo's soft lips on his own as he rubbed Theo's bare chest. The two embraced each other as Theo moved down his neck.

Liam woke up freezing as his clothes were thrown to the ground; it was 7 AM. They didn't have class until 10 today; he tried getting up quietly as a wave of dizziness overwhelmed. He gripped the bed frame as he got dressed throwing on one of Theo's hoodies and a pair of sweatpants. He started to head downstairs, when his vision went black, and his body hit the floor. Theo was startled by the thud, threw on clothes, and picked Liam off the ground.

"Dizzy sorry," Liam muttered, regaining consciousness. "Just tired from yesterday."

"Let's get some water and food in you," Theo looked at him as he fixed his outfit with a jacket and jeans. He packed Liam's lacrosse bag and his gym bag as Liam sat on the edge of the bed, feeling awful still.

Mason knocked a few moments later.

"Come in," Theo answered.
"We heard a thud," Mason said panicking. He looked at Liam, head, and hands, and put together what had happened.

"He's okay," Theo answered, helping Liam off the bed.

Liam threw himself down on the couch, while Theo started coffee and toast. Mason began cooking bacon and eggs.

Corey came down shortly after and sat down beside Liam, "How are you feeling today?"

"Fine," Liam said, feeling the dizziness overwhelm him.

"Looks like you had a fun night, last night," Corey laughed.

Liam was confused, looking down at his collarbones exposed by the oversized sweatshirt, bruises from Theo last night were still prominent. Liam's pale-face turned flush. Corey laughed, but then was concerned about his friend. He knew those should have been healed by now.

Brett and Nolan sat down at the kitchen table; Nolan looking exhausted and worn out.

"Rough night?" Mason looked at him as he set down the food on the table.

"Hunters," Nolan muttered. Mason knew this already; they all knew no one feared the hunters more than Nolan. Liam looked over-worried about Nolan but also was wrapped up in his own troubles.

He sat down beside his friend, "we'll get them, Nolan."

"What if they get us first?" Nolan looked at the alpha.

Liam sat there and thought if he would even care if they got him. Liam was still shaking, stomach gnawing at him from starvation, and mind spinning. The rest of the puppy pack began to eat except Nolan and Liam. Nolan didn't feel like eating this morning, and Liam had no intention of eating at all, especially if Nolan wasn't. Brett kicked Nolan under the table, looking at his untouched plate, then nodding over to Liam.