Chapter 34: Awaiting

TW: eating disorders, self-harm

"Hey, it's okay," Lydia sat down beside him offering him a tissue. Theo hadn't even realized he had been crying.

Scott sat down on the other side of him grabbing his hand in reassurance. Melissa and Argent were already interrogating doctors. Stiles sat down in silence holding Derek's hand who was also somber. Peter and Parrish sat down in silence as well; you could tell they were even worked up over it. Malia was wrapped around Scott, trying to comfort Theo as well. When Mason, Corey, Brett, and Nolan rushed in; tears in each one of their eyes. Mason and Corey took a place beside Parrish who was helping calm Mason down. Nolan was still dead to the world, relying completely on Brett. Stiles and Derek went over to them.

Melissa and Argent finally came back over. Argent sighed, "his heart stopped once more, but as of now he is stable."

"Thank God," Theo muttered. He might have been an atheist, but maybe something was out there after all.

"We can go see him after the doctor comes out," Melissa told them.

The doctor came out about a half-hour later.

"Before you go in and see him, I have some questions I need some answers. Are you all comfortable being here?"

Everyone nodded; Theo knew Liam knew the whole pack knew anyways.

"We already got that Liam hasn't been eating for around 2 months; we have previous health records showing hospitalization for anorexia. We found wounds on Mr. Dunbar's body. Are those from self-harm?"

"The ones on his arms yes; the body no he was fighting saving us all," Melissa told him.

"Has Liam been partaking in any purging behavior?"

"He hasn't been able to hold food down recently, but not on purpose," Melissa looked at him.

Nolan looked up out of his trance, "yes, he has been." He hated revealing Liam, but also he knew they needed to know to help him.

Theo turned and looked at him; "Nolan realized, and he didn't. Good boyfriend there Theo," he thought to himself.

"Overexercising?"

"Yes," Theo looked at him, thinking of last night.

"Suicidal thoughts?"

Everyone looked around at each other.

"We don't know," Theo muttered.

"Ms. McCall, I would like to speak to you privately about treatment options," he told her, letting everyone else in to see Liam.

Theo's heart sank; he knew Liam wouldn't handle treatment well.

Theo walked in and almost crumbled to his knees. He had lost any ounce of dignity he had left. Scott and Peter grabbed him before he hit the ground. The sight of Liam terrified him, hooked up to a heart monitor, breathing tube, AED waiting, feeding tube out his nose, various IVs, the hospital gown revealed his skeletal figure even more without his baggy clothes. He was as pale as a ghost. Theo took a seat beside him holding his cold, lifeless hand, silent. Scott sat down beside him. Corey and Mason taking the other side. Brett had Nolan in his arms in the corner. Derek, Stiles, Malia, and Peter sat on the far facing wall. Lydia sat down comforting Mason and Corey. Argent and Parrish waivered by the door. The room was silent until Melissa came back in.

"Theo," she called him, taking his eyes away from Liam, "I convinced the medical team to do this. They obviously want to admit him, inpatient, in the ED unit, however, I explained how detrimental that would be for Liam's health. They hesitated with how bad his condition is, but they agreed they can't put him at any higher risk. So, they agreed to set up a strict plan for him that he has to follow and let him do outpatient. It will be three nights a week, however, if he refuses or has another hospitalization. Legally, they will put him in inpatient care.

Theo breathed again, "Thank you, Melissa."

"Don't make me regret it; you have to watch him."

Theo nodded looking back at Liam.

Hours passed, no one moved, no one spoke. A nurse came in bringing food vouchers and told them they could stay until 8 except Theo who could stay the night.

Stiles threw a sandwich at Theo when they came back, "eat it."

Theo growled at him.

"Seriously, you have to take care of yourself to take care of him," Stiles looked at him.

Theo looked up at Stiles being nice to him for once, "thanks."

8:00 came around, and everyone got ready to leave.

"You sure you are okay staying, Theo?" Melissa asked him.

Theo nodded, focusing on Liam. She wrapped a blanket around his shoulders, "get some sleep."

Theo watched Liam until he felt his own eyelids get heavy; he didn't even remember falling asleep.

"I'll drive your car," Argent looked at Mason, "go home with Lydia and Parrish."

Mason thanked him as they went towards Parrish's truck.

Melissa and Argent got in with Brett and Nolan.

"Are you two okay?" Melissa looked back at them.

Brett nodded, while Nolan remained silent.

"Nolan? Honey, you need to talk to us."

Tears were streaming down Nolan's face, "he doesn't deserve it."

Brett wrapped Nolan in his arms, "neither do you," he whispered in his ear.

Melissa looked at him, "Nolan, I know this has been hard on you too. I know what you've been doing. I just wanted you to know; we are here for you. You can talk to us about anything."

Nolan nodded, realizing Melissa knew from when she treated his wounds.

Scott, Malia, Derek, Peter, and Stiles were in the jeep.

"I can't believe it," Scott was beating himself up over not being there for Liam.

"Scott, stop, all you can do is be there for him, blaming yourself isn't going to help," Malia rubbed his back.

Stiles and Derek agreed.

"He's strong; he'll be okay," Peter looked at them.