The Duelling Club

Ursula returned to school Sunday night, following Cassiopeia's funeral on Saturday. Her friends tiptoed around her for the following week, which she spent face drawn and eyes red. Eventually Ursula pushed down her grief, thanked her friends for their support, and returned seemingly to normal. Life hadn't stopped in the meantime, and she couldn't afford to fall behind on her schoolwork or to get distracted during Quidditch practice. Besides, if she cried a little at night, after Gemma had finally gone to sleep, who would know?

In the second week of December, Professor McGonagall came around to collect the names of those who would be staying at school for Christmas. Ursula wasn't; her father and Tony were coming to spend Christmas at her grandparents' house. But because of this, Lucius and Narcissa had decided to travel, and Draco was staying at Hogwarts.

A week later, the fourth years noticed a knot of people gathered around the notice board, reading a piece of parchment that had just been pinned up.

"A Duelling Club," said Cassius, reading over their heads. "The first meeting is tonight."

"I doubt duelling will be of much use with the monster," said Lilian. "But I wouldn't mind knowing how."

"I'm all for it," said Ursula. "Hopefully Professor Flitwick is teaching it; he was an accomplished duellist."

Unfortunately, Professor Flitwick was not involved, as they learned when they returned to the Great Hall at eight o'clock. The long dining tables had vanished and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit by thousands of candles floating overhead. The ceiling was velvety black once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it, all carrying their wands and looking excited.

"Bloody hell," muttered Adrian, as Gilderoy Lockhart walked onstage, wearing robes of deep plum and accompanied by none other than Professor Snape, wearing his usual black.

"I'd leave if I didn't want to see Professor Snape humiliate him," said Ursula.

Lockhart waved an arm for silence and called, "Gather round, gather round! Can everyone see me? Can you all hear me? Excellent!"

"This can't end well," said Lilian.

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little duelling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I may have done on countless occasions — for full details, see my published works."

Cassius groaned.

"Let me introduce my assistant, Professor Snape," said Lockhart, flashing a wide smile. "He tells me he knows a tiny little bit about duelling himself and has sportingly agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. Now, I don't want any of you youngsters to worry — you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him, never fear!"

Professor Snape's upper lip was curling. Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed; at least, Lockhart did, with much twirling of his hands, whereas Snape jerked his head irritably. Then they raised their wands like swords in front of them.

"As you see, we are holding our wands in the accepted combative position," Lockhart told the silent crowd. "On the count of three, we will cast our first spells. Neither of us will be aiming to kill, of course."

"I wouldn't bet on it," Ursula murmured, watching Snape bare his teeth.

"One — two — three —"

Both of them swung their wands above their heads and pointed them at their opponent; Professor Snape cried, "Expelliarmus!" There was a dazzling flash of scarlet light and Lockhart was blasted off his feet. He flew backward off the stage, smashed into the wall, and slid down to sprawl on the floor.