The Boggart

Ursula woke the next morning feeling much better, excited and ready for classes to begin. Marcus Flint held trials for the reserve keeper and chaser, and wasted no time after choosing Lilian and Cassius respectively to begin training them and the rest of the team for their first match, which was nearly two months away.

"I'm so sore," groaned Lilian the morning of their first day of school. "I can barely move my arms."

Ursula chuckled.

"I don't envy you," she said. "The first few days are awful."

"We have practice tonight, don't we?" said Lilian. Ursula nodded.

"I recommend stretching beforehand," said Ursula. Professor Snape came around just then with their schedules. "Charms, Ancient Runes, and Defense Against the Dark Arts this morning. We'll get to meet Professor Lupin."

"If he's better than Lockhart, I'll be thrilled," said Cassius, slathering his toast in butter and honey.

"I don't know if I can handle Quidditch and Astronomy on the same day," said Lilian.

"You'll sleep well when it's over, that's for sure," replied Ursula. "Come on, we had better get to Charms."

Professor Flitwick spent the first fifteen minutes of class lecturing them on the importance of OWLs, as they knew he would. Gemma even took notes.

"What you must remember," said little Professor Flitwick squeakily, perched as ever on a pile of books so that he could see over the top of his desk, "is that these examinations may influence your futures for many years to come! If you have not already given serious thought to your careers, now is the time to do so. And in the meantime, I'm afraid, we shall be working harder than ever to ensure that you all do yourselves justice!"

They then spent the remainder of the hour reviewing Summoning Charms, which according to Professor Flitwick were bound to come up in their OWL, and he rounded off the lesson by setting them their largest amount of Charms homework ever.

Ancient Runes was no better. Professor Babbling assigned them a long sheet of translations and a reading to do, plus a lecture of her own about their OWLs.

"I've heard Alchemy is rather fascinating," said Cassius as they walked to Defense Against the Dark Arts. "Are you planning to take it next year?"

Ursula nodded.

"I think so," she said. "I might drop Ancient Runes once I've got the OWL."

They reached Defense Against the Dark Arts, where Professor Lupin was busy writing on the chalkboard. His tattered briefcase sat on his desk, and he looked shabby as ever but healthier than he had on the train, as though he had had a few square meals.

"Good morning," he said when the bell rang, turning around to face them with a smile. "No doubt you've already been told about the importance of your OWLs, so I won't bore you with another lecture."

"Thank Merlin," said Fred loudly. A ripple of laughter swept through the class and Professor Lupin chuckled.

"I will, however, promise to prepare you to the best of my ability for the exam," he said. "I am not saying my class will be easy, but I believe each and every one of you can earn an OWL in Defense Against the Dark Arts. This year we will be taking a more practical approach, including dark creatures, of which I will be bringing in several during lectures. You will not be put in danger during my class, but you will be challenged. Does this sound reasonable?"

"I like this guy already," whispered Cassius.

"He's certainly better than anyone we've had so far," agreed Ursula.