33.

"This is the place?" I asked. Ash nodded. "If we die?"

"Then we die," he said. I sighed as we walked inside. There was Cain and some of his guys stood there at the bar. They definitely seem stronger than both of us. We could die right now. I've experienced near death situations. This is fine.

"You're just like the rumors say," Cain said. He was probably directing that at Ash. "Like a pretty peacock in the dump." He looked over at me. "And that's your girlfriend, I'm guessing."

"Is it that obvious?" I asked. "Everyone always says that." I looked at Ash. "Is it that obvious?"

"Eh, kind of," Ash said, shrugging. Really?

"Is it because I follow you everywhere-"

"Y/N, just shut up," he said, clearly done with my crap.

"Ok, sorry."

"So what do you want?" Cain asked Aslan.

"I'm going to settle things with Arthur." You'd probably kill him. "And I want you to stay out of it."

"What's in it for me?" He asked.

"That's not all. I don't want you messing in the downtown area." I heard Cain's guys get closer and I turned around. Nice to know I'll die to another gang. Never thought that's how I'd end.

"You came here to tell me that? You gots balls," he told Ash. "Does your girlfriend approve of this?"

"Ok, first of all, don't refer to me as 'girlfriend'," I said. "Second, I don't really care what Aslan does at this point."

"Didn't we go over this? Stop calling me Aslan," he said.

"Fine," I sighed. I looked at Cain. "Um, sorry. Continue."

"If I'd team up with Arthur, even you guys couldn't go home alive. You both know that," he said.

"You wouldn't," Ash told him.

"Why's that?"

"Because you're the same as me." I tilted my head. "You'd rather die than be controlled my someone. Same with Y/N." I do?

"And if I say no?" Cain asked. "Downtown is too good to give up."

"Then you've got it coming," Ash told him.

"What did you say?" One of his guys snapped. I turned around again.

"Damn, you guys must be deaf," I muttered. I'm gonna get myself killed like the dumbass I am. Ash whipped around and shot one of them in the hand. I pulled out my knife and looked around. "Listen, Cain. Just listen to Ash and we can leave," I said. I closed my knife and put it away. Ash and I were back-to-back. "Just say you'll listen and everyone else can be unharmed. Except for that one dude, sorry about that." He looked at me right in the eyes.

"My guys and I won't touch you or Ash. You have my word," he said. I stepped to the side so Ash could turn around to face Cain. "I'll be straightforward. I don't give a holy shit about your war. You better not drag me into it. If something happens to my guys, you'll both pay for it big time."

"We will try not to drag you into it or your guys," I told him.

"I don't like your promises," he told me.

"Nobody does," I admitted. "But I keep them. For the most part.."

"What do you mean for the most part-"

"I-I don't wanna talk about it," I stammered. "It was a hard time."

"Oh, the promise you made to Jennifer-"

"Yeah, that promise," I interrupted Ash. I looked back at Cain. "It's deep, I can explain it in the future if we ever cross paths." I took a deep breath. "I'll stop talking now."

"I need you two to pull out for today," Cain told us. "People like you make my guys thirsty, thirsty for blood."

"Sure. Thanks for your time," Ash said. I nodded.

"I will tell you the promise I broke next time-"

"Y/N, I don't think he needs to know about it," Ash said.

"But I told him I would already."

"Just.. don't." I nodded.

"Take care of yourselves. You're both too good to fall to the mafia," Cain said.

"Yeah, I agree," Ash said.

"A smooth talker. I like him," he said, smirking. We walked out of the building.

"Oh my fucking god, you're an idiot," Ash told me as the door shut.

"What did I do?"

"You know exactly what you're doing," he said as we walked away.

"Being nice? Yeah, I'd like to not die!" I snapped.

"Ok, don't over share though-"

"Says the one who shot some dude's hand!"

"Ok, that was self defense," he argued.

"They got pissed, nobody whipped out guns," I told him. "You did though do you could've been the one to get us killed."

"Oh, I could've got us killed?" He asked. "You pulled out a knife, Y/N. A knife! You pulled it out on Cain."

"'That was self defense'," I quoted.

"Ok, shut up. You don't need to make fun of me. Also, on Cain? Self defense against Cain?"

"It was for his guys but than I got into a conversation with him and-"

"A very over detailed conversation-"

"Small talk, Aslan, small talk."

"Can you not make me put up with your crap right now?" He asked.

"Then end the conversation," I replied.

"I- Y/N!" He snapped.

"Aslan!" I snapped back.

"How many times have you called me Aslan today?" I shrugged.

"You don't do anything about it!"

"Can you guys shut up?" Bones groaned. Ash and I looked at him.

"When did we get here?" I asked.

"We got here a while ago, dumbass."

"We did?" I questioned.

"Oh my god, yes!" He said. I stared at him and looked at Bones. Back at him and back at Bones.

"I'm gonna go to sleep-"

"Oh, thank god!" Ash groaned.

"Or you know I could stay up if someone is gonna be a piece of shit!"

"How long has this lasted?"

"I don't know which is why I'm trying to sleep!" I opened the bedroom door and walked in. I turned around. "Goodnight!"

"Goodnight!" He sighed. I flipped him off and he groaned. I shut the door and sighed. I love that dumbass.