Chapter 36

"MINERVA!!" The blue-haired teen snarled, lunging for the Sabertooth traitor with thunder surrounding her fists. The woman smirked as she dodged the Fairy's punches, but her grin was wiped off her face when a kick to her unguarded side knocked the breath out of her lungs, sending her flying into the icy cliff face.

Her surprise was evident.' How could that bothersome Fairy still have so much power left?' She gritted her teeth, pressing hard against her injury, a bruise already forming. Minerva waited for a second, wondering if her mutated guildmate's magic was finally making Kasumi shrink into a child, just like the other Fairies. Looking up, she barely held back the gasp in her throat. Instantly, her growing bruise was forgotten by the dark guild wizard.

Her opponent was panting, but not from exhaustion. Her four canines were elongated, the power that she conjured no longer a bright yellow like Laxus', but a dark, foreboding indigo that pulsed angrily around her being. Glowing from the depths of the shadows that were cast on her face were two glowing orbs of crimson, her irises narrowed into slits.

Her whole body cloaked in prickling electricity now, Kasumi looked more demon than human. Tiny rocks were detaching themselves from the ground, torn from the stone by the powerful force field that surrounded her. The whole mountain rumbled as her magic seemed to increase by the second.

"Minerva." She repeated, but her voice sounded lower, a guttural growl that shook the earth. Kasumi slowly walked toward the gaping woman, her power making the air warp and waver.

'There is no need to think,' Someone--Something coaxed from inside her mind. Its words wrapped around her like tendrils of smog, choking; cloying. 'Kill her.'

Kasumi felt power surging into her from some unknown source, and the more it flowed into her body, the more she craved it. It was dark and foul, yet she wanted more. More. More. It filled her as her sub-conscience started drawing in the miasma on its own. She knew that she was usurping this strength from someone else, but the thing in her mind urged her not to care. That being stemmed not from the magic itself, but from her, a presence waiting for the the right amount of magic to awaken.

For a few futile seconds, Kasumi tried to fight against the saccharine words it whispered, but she soon welcomed the unknown shadows into her mind. It felt weirdly familiar as it grew, dying her consciousness with rage, staining her sight in the deep reds of freshly spilled blood.

'Just kill. Kill everything that stands in your way.'

She raised an arm. Purple light gathered, and she felt her lips curve into a wolfish grin before releasing the beam laced with crackling electricity. It feels good. She laughed as Minerva scrambled to her feet and dodged the attack within a hair's breadth.

With a flourish of her hands, dozens of pulsing violet magic circles formed in the air, crushing ice with similar beams. Her mirthless laughter increased in volume when one of the beams found its mark, making her cry out as it blasted her into another wall of ice.

"Dance...dance!" Kasumi sang, taunting her petrified enemy. "Where did that confidence go to, Minerva?" The woman struggled to get back on her feet, blood running down her face and arms in thin rivulets.

"You're one of them..." She rasped, her eyes wide. "You're one of those...monsters."

Kasumi summoned a lance made with the same magic, standing above the former Sabertooth wizard. "Don't compare me to those filthy creatures." She spat, her scarlet eyes narrowing in disgust. "I smelt your little mongrel of a companion," She mused, lips curving into a smirk. "I must thank him for trying to use his demon magic on me..." Seeing Minerva's look of recognition as her free hand created a new magic circle made her smile grow. The grotesque man was reduced to a bag of skin and bones, all the life force sucked dry from his body. "He served as good nourishment to wake me."

Minerva grimaced as she laid eyes on her former guildmate, not that she cared whether he lived, but the thing that was speaking now was definitely not the Dragon Slayer that she knew. "Who are you...?"

"I'm Kasumi Dreyer from Fairy Tail," The bluenette answered with a chuckle.

"The Demon inside her, that is."

▪️▫️♥️▫️▪️