22 ⚡ Maid

Chapter 22

The cheap sponge is scrubbing off all the dried blood from an unsuccessful plan. My wet hair is sticking to my face like glue as the water of the shower cleans my body.

Dante gave me one hour to prepare myself to work. How can he expect me to be ready in an hour when it takes twenty minutes for my hair to dry. Regardless, I speed up my time in the shower, trying to be on time.

Once I'm all cleaned, I quickly wrap my body in the white towel before taking the stairs leading me to the cold attic.

I feel like I'm in a cheap Airbnb environment. The bathroom is small, with bright orange tiles that make me scrunch my nose and enough room for a sink, toilet, and shower.

Then there's my 'private suite' that only has an uncomfortable bed- no, an uncomfortable mattress on the floor. Other than that, there's my suitcase beside it with all of my stuff scattered on the ground.

It's a miracle I can stand without bumping my head against the roof.

The staircase creaks for every step I take, and the first thing I notice when I walk toward the mattress is a dress lying on top of it.

I laugh, not believing at what my eyes are witnessing today. It's a black and white maid dress. The type of uniform you would see in Japanese cartoons, and it doesn't end here. Right next to it, there's a cat headband and collar.

Oh, Gods, Xavier would have laughed so hard at it. I wonder where he is. Dante told me he'll update me soon, but I don't trust that man.

As I predicted, it takes me twenty minutes to fix my hair and a sigh leaves my lips when it's time to put on the maid outfit. I shift my ears to my feline ones, refusing to wear the fake ones. The collar makes Foxy growl. The tight object makes her feel trapped. She hates it.

"Alexa," Dante calls from downstairs. "You're late," he adds.

I release another sigh, sliding Xavier's ring off. I'll see you tonight. I kiss the red crystal before shoving it deep inside my suitcase. "I'm coming," I say, loud enough for him to hear as I slide my feet into my heeled boots.

I need to make him trust me, or he'll never tell me anything. Xavier is risking so much already I need to start doing the same.

With that thought in mind, I nod to myself as I climb downstairs.

A low whistle grabs my attention, and I find Dante grinning with mischief clouding his gaze. "And here I thought I'd have to punish you for not wearing the uniform."

I give him an innocent smile. "Why would I do that? The dress is beautiful," I say sweetly.

The Alpha raises an eyebrow. "So that's your new strategy," he says, walking closer to me.

I stand my ground, tilting my head to the side. "I don't have a strategy."

His hand grabs the collar, forcing me to look up at him and go on my tiptoes for how much he's pulling. He doesn't say anything, his eyes looking at my face as if searching for an answer.

They linger a bit more to my lips, making me unconsciously lick them. Dante's mouth opens before closing again. He releases his iron grip and turns around, walking down the hallway. "Since it's your first day, just follow me around and do as I say."

I nod, keeping up with his pace. "What about Xavier?"

Dante glances at me for a second before going down the stairs to the main hall. "I sent him to his first real client. He should be back in a couple of days."