49 ⚡ Surprise

Chapter 49

"Obrigada," I thank the lady as I take the sweetest puff-puff beignets I've ever eaten.

Xavier has been the perfect tour guide, showing me the good, and the ugly side of his hometown. By far my favorite place is the shopping mall. There's nothing special about it, but seeing people talk in a different language and going on with their day makes me giddy.

Now, we're walking down the sidewalk. There's the beach on a side and the road on the other. Clear blue waves crash into the shore, washing over the sand. "Don't you have any friends here?" I ask as I eat the puff-puffs.

Xavier shakes his head. "Not anymore. I went to a private school, so all of them were foreigners."

I pout. "That's sad. Are you still keeping in touch with them?"

"Nope. I can follow them on their socials, but it's not the same thing anymore. If I could, I would redo my childhood all over again just for them."

When I glance up at him, I find him with a nostalgic smile on his face. It's sad how friendship changes over the years. The older we get, the harder it becomes to maintain them.

We spend the rest of our day walking around town and going back home through a candongueiro. Xavier was hesitant about the vehicle, but after a bit of convincing, he gave in, sending his driver back home.

Candongueiro is similar to a bus, but a lot smaller and crowded as hell. I love it. Although it feels weird being the only white woman in the car.

Xavier talks over the chaos toward the driver, probably telling him where to get us. I observe the men loudly interact with each other and can't stop smiling throughout all the drive.

Xavier releases an exaggerated exhale when we hop out of the white and blue vehicle. "I can still feel their sweat on me," he says as he fans himself.

I laugh, pushing my hair back. "You're such a drama queen."

"And you love it," he confidently says as he knocks on the wooden door of his house.

It doesn't take long for them to open enough to let us in. The sun has long left its place to the beautiful full moon. Anxiety builds up as I realize that dinner with his family is about to happen. I'm scared.

When we're behind closed doors of his bedroom, Xavier tells me to dress informally elegant.

What the hell does informally elegant even mean?!

He slides open the glass doors that lead to his walk-in closet. Our suitcases are in the middle, open, and with our clothes scattered on the ground.

He crouches down in front of my white suitcase, making the mess worse but finding a suitable dress for the occasion. He lifts it up, eyeing the material. I put a black off-shoulder cocktail skater A-line dress in my bag, just in case something like this happened.

It's the only formal dress I have, so if he rejects it, I'm doomed. Luckily, he doesn't.

He nods and turns toward me, handing me the dress before focusing on himself. I take my time to get ready, and by the time we're both done, his mom is calling us from downstairs.

Sweat quickly builds up in the palms of my hands as I quietly follow the elegant version of Xavier. He's wearing a soft brown button-up shirt, striped, smart trousers, and white sneakers.

The dining room is in-between the living room and kitchen with only a glass table for six people with beautiful cream-colored leather chairs. Xavier's parents are already sitting at the head of the table.