27 ⚡ Twin Flames

Chapter 27

After the words twin and flames left his lips, I took the conversation to the attic.

Xavier sits down on the mattress while I sit on my knees in front of him, shivering at the cold wooden floor.

"I've heard stories of twin flames, but I thought that at the end of the day, it's just a synonym of soulmates," I say.

The lion shakes his head. "Not with people like us. This is a piece that you don't find in American books. Back when I lived in Angola, my parents would read me hundreds of stories about soulmates, kindred spirits, and twin flames.
The fact that lions and lionesses are different is because they can choose between having a soulmate or a twin flame."

I tilt my head to the side. "What's the difference between them?"

"Well, soulmates are the other half of our hearts while twin flames are another piece of us. It sounds the same, but it's different. Let's say I meet two girls right now. One girl is my soulmate, so her intoxicating scent makes my lion lose control, falling for her hard. The other girl is my twin flame, so the mere presence of her makes me feel at peace. She changes me into a better part of myself as I do the same to her."

I hum, slowly nodding my head. "So a soulmate is something more physical while a twin flame, I'd say, is more on a spiritual level. But isn't a soulmate better for a lion? Why would you reject that for a twin flame?"

Xavier smiles. "That's a little tricky, and it all comes down to the person and feline agreement. If both parties aren't on the same page, the relationship will be fatal because either I or my feline will fight to meet the person we want. There's a reason why your feline likes me so much even though we're not soulmates."

I frown. "My feline?"

He gives me a firm nod. "Yeah, she's pretty persistent. I don't think you realize it, but every time I'm around you, your scent changes."

As if on cue, Foxy purrs in my mind, and a second later, Xavier's chuckles booms in the tiny attic. "You usually have a farm-like type of scent that reminds me of pumpkin, but now it's mixed with a rose scent. I like it."

I hold my hand up. "Wait a damn minute, farm scent? Even though it's been more than five years since I last went home?" I let out a groan, rolling my head back for a second.

"It's not that bad. Plus, I think the scent is connected to the environment of when your feline and you started coexisting, so it'll never go away, but anyway, do you know what all of this means?"

I blink, giving him a confused expression. Xavier slides down the mattress and scoots in front of me with his knees. My head cranes upward as his hands meet my cheeks. He leans down, softly kissing me. "You're my twin flame," he whispers with a gentle smile.

"How are you so sure about it?" I quietly ask.

"I might have asked for a tarot session to the client in exchange for pleasure."

My nose scrunches up as my heart tightens. "I don't know how I should feel about this slap on the face." 

Xavier's golden eyes glow, a grin stretching on his lips. "Slap on the face, huh? Is Alexa Reeds jealous of someone like me?"

I roll my eyes, pushing his hands away from my face. "Of course, I'm always possessive when it comes to the men I sleep with."

An ominous growl makes a shiver run down my spine. Why does it feel cold now? I glance at Xavier glaring at me.

"Did I say something wrong?" I ask.

Xavier sits down on his knees."Are you teasing me?"

I swallow a nervous lump. "What did the witch say?" I ask instead, hoping he'll follow along with the changing subject.