Chapter 22 - Prison Break!

Korra was still pretty livid after her interaction with the Queen. She was out in the yard of their temporary stay home, getting her anger out with some combat.

Asami wore some practice gloves on her hands, as Korra took blows at it. Off to the side, Chai sat, calmly rubbing her egg.

"I know that Earth Queen is lying to me! I can tell by that stupid little queenly smirk of hers! I can't believe I helped her. I should have known she was using me!"

Korra does an air kick knocking one of Asami's gloves off.

Asami took her other glove off shaking her hand. "Hey, I think I can use a break. You're letting off steam is starting to hurt. A lot."

"Sorry. Chai, I'm surprised you're so calm after what she said to you," Korra said

"Yes. She is a horrible nasty woman that I wish to bury, but I've been taught to handle my anger in a proper way. Nothing worse than a firebender who can't control their anger," Chai said

She kept petting her egg but suddenly stopped when it started to get warm in her lap.

"Uh..Guys!"

Asami and Korra looked to Chai. The Princess had a freaked-out expression on her face as she held up her egg. It was shaking like crazy in her hand, and Chai could feel extreme heat radiating off of it.

"What do I do?!" Chai shouted

She held the egg out in front of her as it rattled violently. Cracks formed on the outside, smoke coming through. Suddenly there was a loud booming sound as the egg exploded, knocking Chai back. "Chai!"

The Princess laid still on the ground, her eyes wide, with soot covering her face.

Asami and Korra ran over to the girl helping her sit up.

"I'm okay! I'm okay!" Chai said

She let out a little cough black smoke coming out.

"What about the egg?" Chai asked

"You mean what's left of it?" Korra said

Chai glanced around to see the golden shell of the egg scattered around the grass.

"Was that supposed to happen?" Asami asked

"I don't...know. But where's the dragon?" Chai said

The three looked around trying to spot anything but found the yard empty.

Chai suddenly felt something slithering about under her jacket then a small serpent-like head popped out of her shirt. Sunny yellow eyes stared back at the girl, as Chai took in the sight of the baby dragon. Its scales were golden almost the same color as her hair, and he had an orange spine of spikes. His tiny little wings were gold as well and the underside was orange.

"Awwwww..." Chai gushed

The dragon stuck its tongue out tickling Chai's nose before it went back in her jacket nuzzling in the safety of her warmth.

"Wow, I can't believe I got to see a dragon be born," Korra said

"He's so cute," Chai said

"How do you know it's a boy?" Korra asked

Chai shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know. I just kind of do."

"What are you gonna name him?" Asami asked

"He's gonna be called...Dawn." Chai said

Pabu came running by chittering, staring at something. The girls all turn to where the fire ferret was looking and saw and out of breath Mako and Bolin running up.