chapter 1

Aleena POV:

"Shit, I'm late" I grumbled looking down at my phone beaming the time 8:30pm.

Returning my phone on the night stand, I paced around my room, trying to find those damn heels that I had bought the other week.

I rarely if ever wore heels, but when I went shopping for an outfit to wear for my birthday I thought to myself maybe I could put in the effort. you only turn 21 once right.

Rummaging inside my closet, I found the box underneath a mountain of clothes I had thrown carelessly inside. The heels in question were nothing expensive, just a pair of black stilettos that match perfectly with my outfit.

Bouncing my way out of my room, I scanned for my car keys.

There were piles of letters that needed opening stacked up on the coffee table along with some jackets that hung on the couches arm.

I really need to clean up, making a mental note in my head to do that once I get home.

I found the keys on the side table near the door covered beneath the dying flower petals. Rushing back to my room, I checked myself out one more time.

I wore a crimson dress with two spaghetti straps that held it in place, the dress wasn't tight giving me room to breathe and walk. The length stopped at my knees, the perfect length.

"Fuck, I'm gonna be late" mumbling to myself whilst rushing to the door.

After checking the door was locked, I ran to the parking lot.

****

It wasn't a long drive to the casino, it would take me less than 10 minutes to arrive, the problem was Jeremy. He hated it every time I showed up late and it bugged me beyond anything when he got mad, so I tended to leave 10 minutes earlier.

I've been living in las Vegas for almost three years now, deciding it was time to start somewhere fresh and new.

I met Jeremy the first year of college and we've been inseparable ever since.

I could tell I was close to the casinos, when flashing lights started to appear, neon lights lit up everywhere from restaurants to entertainment buildings and hotels but most importantly the casinos.

No wonder they call this the entertainment capital of the world.

I pulled into the parking lot at one of the buildings Jeremy had agreed to meet me at.

My nose scrunched at the sight of my car next to the luxury vehicles that surround it. It looked like a scrap of metal.

As I entered the building the sound of cheers and shouts echoed the place, either from winning or losing their earnings.

I tried dodging the crowds that surrounded the room, a few stubbled on the floor from how drunk they were, while others moped presumably from losing.

I headed to where Jeremy had instructed me to wait, surprised when I didn't find him.

Maybe he's working late. I thought whilst taking a seat.

Time went by, as I watched crowd after crowd come and leave. My body becomes relentless from all the waiting. It had been almost an hour since I arrived and he was still a no show.

"Don't be late my ass'' I muttered under my breath.

I grabbed my clutch, pulling out my phone. I decided to give him a ring.

No longer than a minute the phone went straight to voicemail ' hey, this is Jeremy if you're important leave a message if not leave me alone'

' Hey J, this is Aleena, I've been waiting for you for nearly an hour. I was just wondering where you are. Give me a call when you get this'.