47: We What?

At school, Lucas comes up to me when I'm alone at my locker, trading my books.

"I am not gonna mince any words." He says. "I'm just here to ask, is that Louis Partridge who brought you here?"

"The Louis Partridge?" He repeats.

I take a deep and calming breath. "Yes."

Lucas lets out a small whistle. "Damn."

He snickers and I pinch him. "I gotta go."

Ms. Beckham grabs me on my way to my first class. She puts her arm around me and says. "So, are you holding up on your breakup with Louis Partridge?"

Breakup?

I know she doesn't really care how Louis and I are going. She just wants to gossip, find out if I am really dating Louis. She's clearly the biggest gossip of all the teachers. She was only a substitute last year but now, she's officially a teacher here, a tragedy.

"We're great," I say sunnily yet hesitantly.

"I saw your pictures on Instagram." She whispers. "You and Louis must have spent a lot of time together."

"I'm sorry if you two broke up."

"We didn't break―"

"Long-distance is really hard. He's getting busier and it's good that you guys decided to part ways."

What the hell?

"Louis and I didn't break up."

"It's okay, my dear. That's good, be enthusiastic."

WE DIDN'T BREAK UP!

"Sunny." She begins then falters. "You are such a bright, talented girl. Be good always, I'd hate to see you take the wrong path."

"Ok...?" I smile, hesitantly.

"Don't let colleges turn you down, okay?"

After that, my nostrils flare. How could she think that Louis and I broke up? And if it were to happen, I wouldn't let it affect my future. I respect Ms. Beckham and I can't answer back. So, I just nod and smile.