[16] Kaboom

"Ryujin?"

"Mhm?"

Tiredly mumbling these words, Ryujin didn't even think about opening her eyes, but she noticed that there was some sort of pressure on her body.

Possibly because they both fell asleep yesterday, Lia inside Ryujin's arms, as they just talked until 3am.

About everything and everyone.

Honestly, Lia loved to see the 3am version of people, because everyone turns out exactly the same.

Honest, vulnerable and real.

But Ryujin was more than that.

She was also a lot more cuddly, confident and more profound than ever.

It was more than just a talk for them.

It was a feeling, a gift that they somehow always wanted, but still never knew they needed it.

But when Ryujin thought about what their late night convo contained of, she felt how her heart relaxed again, reliving that conversation over and over again in her head.

"You were right, by the way."

"About what?"

"Whatever is going on between us is so, so special. Wait, not just special. I've never felt this kind of bond with anyone else, it's like I knew you in every single life. Like it was always meant to be that we're sitting here, philosophizing about us and everything else. It still feels so surreal to me."

"It's crazy how we know what the other one's feeling and thinking without even saying a single word. I feel like we're... connected, somehow. Damn, we really should have gotten high beforehand, right?"

Soft giggles filled the room, Ryujin pulling Lia a bit closer to her chest, the popular girl feeling the outsider's soft heartbeat.

It calmed her to know that she's right here.

"Yeah, maybe, it would have been a lot funnier if we did. But I honestly just want to feel you, not the effects of THC. It wouldn't be as intimate as it is now. I couldn't feel and appreciate your presence as much. It would make me temporarily forget how much I'm feeling for you."

"You... You know what's kind of unbelievable?"

"All of this?"

"Yeah, that too, but I was talking about the way we all turn out to be heroes for this one person in our lives. The person who is one in a million, and knowing that they exist just doesn't feel real. Before I met you, I didn't really care about others or their feelings. The only thing that mattered to me was myself, because I had never been taught anything different. My parents told me that in the end, we're all going to end up alone anyways."

"That's... a really depressing mindset."

"But somehow, it's still kind of true if you think about it. I just never realized until now that it doesn't matter how everything turns out in the end, as long as I enjoyed myself, lived my life the way I intended and achieved everything I wanted, it's so irrelevant what comes after death."

Because Ryujin was sitting on her bed while Lia leaned into her body, the taller girl took one of her hands and intertwined their fingers, before placing a soft kiss on top of the smaller one's head.

"You're bulding me up quite a lot without even realizing, you know?"

But what didn't come to Ryujin's mind was that this might have been the perfect moment to ask her.