Chapter 15

After the quiet burial for Sophia, Dad lead me back to the house . It was probably about noon when we headed back in.

Despite everything going on , there was still lunch at the table. I sat down at the kids table with Glenn, Jimmy, Lizzie, Mika, and Carl. I noticed , however, that Beth, Maggie, Amy, Hershel, and Lori were missing .

"What happened?" My mouth asked quietly and I gently shoved some creamed corn into it . I carefully wiped my face with my napkin .

"Beth went into some kind of shock . Mr. Greene thinks it's from her recent .. uh.. loss," Jimmy informed me , taking a bite of the meat in his plate . "Oh." Was all I could force out.

Minutes later, Amy and Lori walked down the stairs and into the kitchen . "She's gonna be okay," Lori nodded, and sat down beside Rick. She picked up a fork and started eating . Amy sat sat down as well, but didn't eat.

The food didn't go to waste, because it was spilt between Lizzie,Carl,Mika, and I.

"Lori's pregnant .." Glenn blurted once lunch had been cleaned up .

Lori glared at him, and everyone looked very.... afraid.

I think it was implied that the baby was Shane's, but Rick still thought it was his.

~~~~~~~~~

I woke up with a cold sweat . Dad was still asleep beside me , his arm draped over his face. Carefully, I stood up and walked into the bathroom . It took me about an hour to quickly hop into the shower, get dried off, get dressed, apply chapstick, brush my hair, and put lotion on my face , arms, hands, and neck. When I exited the bathroom, the sun was up. It hadn't been when I got in.

Screams erupted from downstairs , and I panicked . Dad wasn't in the room, and neither was his crossbow. I ran to the window and looked out. In the distance, there was a dark shadow in the field . That's when I realized that it was moving. A massive herd of walkers made its way to the farm.

Wearing my backpack , I carried my axe downstairs. My feet carried me through the large doorway of the house and out onto the porch . Hershel was shooting walkers with his shotgun.

"Hershel ! Let's go," I yelled .

He said something , but I couldn't hear over the gunshots and the growls .

"No, let's go," I grabbed his arm and dragged him away . He hopped into a vehicle .

"Summer!! Help!" Lizzie yelled frantically . I looked over to see a few walkers trying to get Mika and her.

My axe flew through their heads one by one. Mika grabbed my hand. "C'mon!" She shrieked. We ran full speed to where my four wheeler sat, Carl shooting walkers on the back of it. I was shocked , but I climbed in anyway. Lizzie and Mika hopped on as well, and I drive off . I decided to follow the other cars that were leaving . Silently, I hoped the rest of the group was okay.

Carl spoke up . "Summer... I'm sorry I left you. I really am. I don't know what I was thinking. I... I love you Summer. Will you be my girlfriend again?" He asked with such maturity . "Yes," I grinned. With a smile , he kissed my cheek.

The vehicle ahead of us stopped on the highway . The engine cut off on my four wheeler, and I got off.

"It's gonna need gas soon ," I mumbled , walking hand in hand with Carl.

We stopped at group . I left my backpack on the four wheeler .

I looked up and saw Beth, Maggie, and Hershel reuniting . Jimmy was nowhere to be found , so I looked down. Amy ran to hug us. Her arms felt warm yet sad.

"We aren't gonna leave you ," I grinned . While Lizzie and Mika ran off with Amy, Rick and the guys were figuring out where to go. Lori sat with Carl , rubbing his head .

I ran over to Dad and hugged him. At first, he tensed up. Then he quickly relaxed once he realized it was only me . No, I didn't blame him for leaving without me . I was used to it.

~~~

That night we slept in cars, a few of us keeping watch. I slept curled up next to Lizzie , Mika, and Amy.

I actually slept that night, despite the sadness I felt over the loss of my bestfriend, our safety , and Patricia and Jimmy .