Chapter 104

I can't believe I agreed to attend Miles's birthday party, but Jacob was right. If I stay here, I know he'll show up, the last thing Miles expects me to do is go to his birthday party. 

And even if it's the last thing I want, it's my best option. Not only will I hide from him, but if he ends up being at the party, I'll see if he'll take Jacob's offer and enjoy the dancers. 

Even if I have no say in it, I still feel disgusted at the thought of Miles enjoying something like that which is why I need to see if it's true with my own eyes. 

I grab my toiletry bag before heading to the showers, my feet taking me there hesitantly. I spot a few other girls there and I'm immediately nervous, somehow not being completely alone feels odd. 

I take my time to fold my towel before getting out of my clothes, the only person who has seen me naked is Miles and I don't want that to change. 

I remember being made fun of in high school for always using the bathroom to get dressed into my swimsuit but there's something about being naked in front of strangers that gives me shivers.

"You're Madison, right?" A tall girl with bleached blonde hair and blue eyes asks. The combination that Miles liked best.

"Yeah," I say as three other girls approach behind her and all stare at me.

"Are the rumors true?" She asks, wide eyes for a split second as she stares at me, waiting patiently for an answer.

"Rumors?" I ask and she bites her lip, looks at her friends with a small giggle, and then back at me.

"Yeah, is it true that you and Miles broke up . . . is he single again?" she asks and I find myself not having an answer. The last thing I expected was a question about Miles.

"I . . . yeah, I guess," I murmur and she starts to squeal while the girls behind her all smile and giggle, jumping up and down. The bleached blonde looks back at them and they all giggle.

"Cleavage tonight, girls." She says and they all walk away with squeals and laughs while I stand there disgusted. 

I hear the showers turn on and immediately sit down on the small wooden seat beneath every locker. I knew that Miles was popular around this school and around girls but I never realized just how excessive it was. 

Somehow, when he became a part of my life, I forgot about just how crazy girls were over him. It was like it was just me and him for the longest time, and now, I'm back in reality. 

I sit there, staring at the floor for what feels like five minutes before grabbing my phone out of my bag. 

I don't feel the need to shower at the same time those girls are so instead, I stare at my phone endlessly, waiting for them to finally get out so I can hopefully get at least five minutes by myself with the scolding water. 

As I stare at my phone with nothing to do it starts to buzz with another phone call from Miles, a phone call I can't bring myself to answer. Instead of hearing him apologize for the hundredth time, I want to see for myself, I want to see the truth this time instead of hearing about it from everyone around me.

"Do you have a curling iron? I want to look as sexy and slutty as I can for you know who." The bleached blonde says to her friend and I feel my stomach churn. 

Her friend shakes her head and she shrugs before they approach the lockers and at the same time, I rush to the showers, leaving everything behind except for my towel and toiletry bag. 

I turn on the water and it's cold which gets a small scream out of me but it quickly switches to a warm temperature and then to scolding hot. 

The water not only drains out all of my energy, but it relaxes me and the water feels good as it runs down my whole body and into the drain below my feet. 

All of the fog, tears and hurt that was lingering on my body is now being washed away along with all the worry and dirt that I haven't cared about for the past twenty-four hours. I grab the shampoo and run it over my hair before massaging my scalp with the bubbly foam. 

I hear talking by the lockers but I ignore the sound, I don't care what those four are up to—I don't need to know. 

After rinsing my hair, I tightly wrap a white towel around my body and let my feet step onto the watery ground that leads me to the empty lockers. 

I don't have an idea as to what to wear and after getting fully dressed and drying my hair with the towel, my mind is still drawing a blank. 

I take a deep breath as another one of Miles's calls is desperately trying to invade my personal space. 

The battery has already been drained and having waterdrops drip onto the screen from my hair, isn't doing the phone, or me any good. 

I watch as the phone buzzes, and eventually, after staring at his name flashing on my screen, it finally stops ringing but a message appears quickly after. 

I roll my eyes but something about the message can't stop my fingers from unlocking my phone and clicking on Miles's message only for my eyes to go wide.

Madison: "I want to surprise you . . . for your birthday, meet me in your room at midnight and come prepared. If you know what I mean."

After the message, I notice a few missed calls all from Miles, he must have believed the text. 

Just as my fingers are about to type a message that my mind can't figure out what is yet, the phone dies.

"No, no, no, no, no," I whisper, rushing to put away my towel and toiletry bag. 

Those girls must have gone into my phone, how could they do something like that? 

I shake my head and stare at the large clock above the mirrors only to see that I have one hour to get ready, charge my phone, and let Miles know the message wasn't from me before he falls for it.