Chapter 91

"You look . . . beautiful." Jace smiles as I try to dust off any imperfections off my dress.

"I tell her all the time." Stephanie grins with her red lipstick. She quickly runs her fingers through her short and slightly curly hair before standing up.

"I can't wait to see Miles's face when he sees your dress," Stephanie says and I shake my head.

"M . . . Miles?" I stammer and look at Jace who looks just as confused as me, but his features soften much quicker than mine.

"Yeah, don't you want your boyfriend to see you?" she says and my heart stings a little and I can see Jace's does too.

"We broke up." I gulp and her eyes turn wide.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, what happened?"

"New weren't right for each other." I muster a smile and she stands up giving me a nod.

"I understand, he's—" she rolls her eyes before giving me a smile that I return.

"I didn't realize he was going to be there . . . maybe going isn't the best idea—"

"It's okay, I'm with you." Jace stops me and I nod even though I'd much rather stay.

"Let's go." Stephanie squeals and I give her a small smile before the three of us head out of the dorm and towards the gravel-covered parking lot.

"It will be okay," I whisper to Jace who smiles.

STEPHANIE'S CAR COMES to a halt and the three of us step out. I'm still a little nervous about everything especially with a borrowed tight peach dress that to my surprise, isn't revealing. My black heels step onto the gravel beneath me and I take a few small breaths. Jace takes my hand again which reminds me to ask him about his girlfriend and how she must feel. 

As we walk closer the feeling of seeing Miles gets more terrifying, the way Rebecca said that they slept together hit me like a ton of bricks that I can't seem to get over. I know that Miles is a terrible person, but sleeping with someone right afterward feels evil. 

Which might have been why he and Chrissy were so good together, she lied to me the whole time we were friends, and Miles played with all of my emotions. As soon as we enter the beautifully decorated and expensive home, all of my worries are washed away. 

The ceilings are tall and the stairs are dark wood. Blue lights shine from the ceilings on the people below.

"This house is beautiful," I say and Stephanie, and she nods.

"Yeah, this is one of the things Miles doesn't show off too often." She says and I manage a nod through my surprise. I had no idea Miles owned another beautiful home, but then again, I have no real idea of who he is.

"I'll get us some drinks," Stephanie says but Jace shakes his head.

"It's okay, Madison and I will go." He smiles before pulling my hand toward the kitchen. It feels weird seeing him here, at a party where everyone is underdressed and alcohol is being sipped everywhere we turn. Jace doesn't belong here and neither did I when I went to the first party.

"Madison do you drink?" He asks, licking his lips slightly.

"No, I—" I stop and take a deep breath.

"I don't drink but I've tried it," I admit. I need to be honest with my best friend but for some reason, honesty has never been this hard, and it's when I need to be honest to the people I care about that it's at its worst. I stare at Jace's faded freckles, waiting for his eyes to soften before I can look into them. The guilt of not being the same person I was is eating me and the more Jace knows, the more I want to forget.

"Oh, okay," he says, and as soon as he does, a red cup is handed to him. Jace looks at the cup for a split second before putting it to his lips. My eyes go wide and I take the cup away from him.

"What are you doing—" I ask my eyes shifting to my further right to the boy dressed in all black that has hurt me more than anyone ever could.

"I don't want to be some loser when I finally go to college, I want to do the things you do . . . otherwise, I won't end up being around you," Jace says but my eyes can't seem to shift away from the painful hazel color that is now staring at me.

"Madison?" Jace asks and I shift back to focus on him. I shake my head before parting my lips.

"Oh, yeah, I don't want you to do that, Jace. I want you to be who you are and I need to start being who I am." I explain, my voice low.

"Good because that tasted . . ." he shakes his head.

"So bad." He adds and be both giggles even though my nerves of knowing that Milles is eyeing me. I'm tempted to look at him again but I know that I'll just end up being hurt somehow.

"I miss you, Madison, I've missed the way you were and I'm glad you're still that same girl," Jace says and I nod. He places his hand on my lower back and I feel slightly surprised at his hand placement. 

I look over at Miles whose jaw is clenched and with his clearly tense hands, he drinks the liquid in his red cup. Jaces' hand travels up to hold my upper back and I smile at him.

"What are you doing?" I ask and he smiles.

"I'm just happy to be around my Madison." He says and I nod. 

Jace leans into my ear and whispers, "I know Miles is looking." As soon as the words leave his lips, his hand travels back down and rests on my hips. Having my best friend holding me so intimately sends all kinds of feelings through me.

"I . . . I like you, Madison." Jace speaks and my heart skips a beat.

"What?" my voice comes out in a whisper but Jace doesn't answer, instead, he smiles. I look over at Miles again whose eyes are still right on mine. 

I turn back frantically to face Jace; The boy I've spent almost all of my life with.

"I'm sorry, Jace . . . but I'm—I don't know where my head is," I admit and his features turn sad.

"You're not over him? Are you?" He asks, his voice defeated and hurt.

"I'm sorry, I wish I wasn't I really do, we belong together, I know that . . . but my heart doesn't . . ." I look down at my fingers before daring to look back at Jace's hurt face.

"If there was anything I could do—"

"There is," Jace says and before I can say anything back, his lips collide with mine. 

As a reflex, I close my eyes and feel Jace's lips on mine, his lips are somehow lighter than Miles's which only reminds me how much I miss his lips. 

Jace's hand rests on my lower back and I can't help but let my hands travel to hold his head.

"What the fuck?!" I hear that familiar scream and before I can do anything, Jace is ripped away from me and smashed against the wall behind me. My heart sinks into my stomach and I feel the warm tears flow down my cheek.

"Miles stop!" I scream and my mind brings me back to Ohio but Miles doesn't stop. His first blast into Jace's cheek but Jace gives him a smirk.

"Jace, both of youstop!" I scream again but when I try to rip Miles off Jace, I can't. I'm tooweak for the anger inside Miles.