Chapter 140

I hear light rain fall around me but I quickly realize that I'm under Miles's silk sheets and that I'm not outside in the rain. 

I open my eyes fully and sit up, letting the covers absorb me. I realize that the water falling is the sound of a shower being turned on. 

I glance outside Miles's window and it's pitch black outside. I didn't realize I fell asleep but now that I look at the black alarm clock Miles has on his nightstand only to realize that it's two am. My brain and body aren't working together as my mind is beginning for sleep and my body is trying to get itself out of the maze that is Miles's perfectly slidy silk sheets. 

My feet and legs are wrapped around the black silk as I try to make my way out of the bed. And as I try with my half-asleep brain to get away from the soft covers and perfect mattress, my feet are entangled in the silk, and instead of getting out normally, I fall onto the ground and onto my butt.

"Ouch," I murmur as I move the silk away slowly with my hands. 

I stand up and move to the door where Miles suddenly appears, in nothing but tight black jeans which makes me wonder how many of them he has considering that he ripped one pair hours ago. Miles's dark eyes just stare at me as I try my best to get back to my feet. 

I tug his long t-shirt down to my knees but it bounces back slightly and rests on my thighs.

"I'm sorry, did I uh, did I wake you?" Miles asks and I shake my head.

"No," I murmur in a hushed voice.

"I just uh, I couldn't sleep." He says, his jaw is soft but his eyes are dim. The rain starts to pour again, knocking on the windows, and now somehow the trees outside look more intimidating.

"What's wrong, Miles?" I look into his eyes and as soon as the words leave my lips, I see something dark turning behind those eyes. His jaw is now clenched and his fists are balled. His tongue rolls inside his cheek before he parts his lips but he doesn't say anything.

"Miles—"

"Don't, Madison." He says harshly and I can't help but take a step back from the flame that is Miles.

"You can't act like that, you can't just tell everyone to go away and push them out of your life."

"Clearly I can." He smirks and I shake my head.

"What is that supposed to mean?" I look at him as he gets into his shirt.

"Drop it, Madison." He says harshly, his eyes gazing into mine, he looks much darker now that he's wearing his black t-shirt. His eyes look darker and do his tattoos.

"I don't want to," I answer back and his eyes stare into mine now even harder, his gaze intensifies every second but I'm not looking away, I don't want to look away.

"You can't just act like this, act so rude to everyone in your life, you're father is clearly trying and you're—"

"I'm rude?" He asks as if he's never heard it before. I nod and he rolls his eyes.

"And don't talk about my asshole of a dad."

"You don't know as much as you think you do." He barks but I stand my ground.

"I know that he left the poor by that needed him, I know he didn't care enough to return," I say and he clenches his jaw, his eyes are now dull, the gaze is gone and there's nothing but pain behind them now.

"Miles—"

"Don't, Madison." He says again.

"I still think you could have been nicer to your father, he's really trying—"

"I could have been fucking nicer? Are you fucking kidding me?" He barks, his voice intimidating.

"I'll never be nice to him. As I said, the cancer can kill him for all I care." He says and the words run through me. Somehow hearing them again makes me realize just how deep Miles' hatred for him is, it's at the root of everything that runs through his blood.

"Then why did you agree to go?" I shake my head, trying to figure out the puzzle that is Miles's emotions. He clenches his jaw before parting his lips in the middle of the rain banging on the windows.

"Because I don't need more fucking things to regret in my fucking fucked-up life! Do you not fucking get it, MAdison?! I already stole something so fucking precious from you. You were saving yourself for marriage for fuck's sake and I fucking took that from you, do you not understand how fucked up that is?! How fucking sick I feel?! Now that my fucking asshole of a fucking dad could drop dead any fucking second, I don't need that on my fucking conscious too. I'd rather sit through the stupid fucking dinner and then fucking forget it. At least I fucking went." He says through his clenched jaw—through the dark voice inside him.

"Fuck!" He screams and brushes the alarm clock of his nightstand to the wall in his room, smashing it into pieces and onto the floor where they land all over the room, including by our feet.

"He just fucks up one kid and moves on to the next as if nothing fuckin happened!" Miles scoffs.

"That little boy will go through the same fucking shit as I did, except I'll have to know, I'll have to know he's being raised by a fucking asshole and I'll have to fucking watch." Miles breathes heavily.

"Maybe the baby will be a she," I say and Miles looks at me confused as if he didn't even consider the possibility.

"It won't." He looks down at the floor.

"Life hates me too much. Their kid will be a fucking boy just like me." He clenches his jaw before parting his lips once more, "Of course if he fucking survives the cancer." I don't know what to say to his words so instead, I sit down on the bed, he watches my every move but he stays by the window.

"Do you really want that? For him to—"

"Die?" Miles asks, clenching his jaw and I nod.

"Yeah, I want him to suffer for the way he left." He breathes heavily and I nod, trying my best to understand the feelings in him.

"Do you . . . not want that for your, uh—father?" Miles hesitates with the question but I shake my head. Miles approaches me and sits down right next to me. My hand rests on his thigh as he looks into my eyes, the pain and anger behind them slowly turning softer with every word that leaves my lips.

"I don't want him to hurt, I . . . I don't know him." I answer, remembering my mother's slippers as she carried me toward the door.

"I don't even remember what happened," I tell him, my mind starting to turn its wheels and my lips parting as a reflex. As the memory keeps unwinding in my head with Miles's dark eyes staring into mine, my mouth speaks every small detail that is new to me.

"I—" I shake my head but as I remember the slippers, the images start to flow.

"I don't remember, but I—" I shake my head again.

"I think, there was a third voice there, that night, and it wasn't mine, it was . . . a girl, she looked to be ten years younger than my mother, and she was there, on the second floor." The words escape my lips as the memories unfold. Miles's eyes are deep inside mine as they absorb everything that comes through my lips.

"Her hair was blond and wavy, and she hit behind my dad as soon as my mother opened to door to the upstairs floor that night." I breathe out, feeling as tears are starting to form in my eyes.

"I don't remember what my dad looked like, all I saw was him looking back at the worried blonde behind him, more frightened of my mom than he was," I say, my lip trembling and my fingers gripping his tighter.

"I—" My lips are parted and just as I remember the last detail, my tears start to fall calmly but rapidly.

"My parents were screaming at each other and all I could do was hide behind a small wall. And she—the girl . . . she looked at me as if she was about to cry and I didn't understand until I—until . . . she . . . she yelled at my dad for lying to her about not having children." I blink and let the tears burst out of my eyes, not opening them and not wanting to feel anything other than Miles's tight hug absorbing my small body.