Chapter 116

It's still a little unsettling to see Miles so kind and open to everything but now that we've finally approached the church, seeing the frown on his face warms my heart. 

Somehow seeing Miles that way shows me the real him even though I have to stare at his scowl. His hand holds mine loosely as we walk towards the tall building, my mother is waiting by the door, talking to her friend Betty whose eyes keep scanning Miles with slight judgment in them. By the time we approach my mother, Betty has left and Miles's grip on my hand is non-existent.

"What's wrong?" I ask, trying to keep my smile away by biting at my lip. Miles's eyes look dull and uninterested.

"This is stupid, that's what's wrong. I can't believe I agreed to this shit." He spits, tugging at his dark hair with his slightly tan fingers. 

The lightly tanned skin makes me wonder if he applies tan every now and then and I almost ask but his harsh eyes make me forget his glowing skin.

"Chruch isn't stupid, it's important to me." I stand my ground, this is a topic I never thought I'd have to defend, especially since my plan was to end up with Jace.

"I know, I'm sorry." He says with a sweet smile—one that is obviously fake. I give him a small nod and a smile to follow even though my head is starting to spin. 

Going to church has always been a big part of my life. 

Ever since I was a child, it has made me feel better and more connected to myself and the people around me, and now the only person I want to be with is the complete opposite of me. We're like two sides, cold and hot—something that can't mix.

"Something wrong?" Betty asks, looking right at my eyes. Her blue eyes pierce mine while her light hair hangs perfectly in a small ponytail behind her head. 

She almost glares at Miles and her thick fingers grip onto the purse in her hands, almost as if it'll protect her against him somehow.

"I'm fine." I smile at her, having everyone ask me how I'm feeling when I'm perfectly fine is somehow irritating. The only thing on my mind is Jace and now Miles—the two people in my life that seem to cause my head to stir the most and everyone seems to notice.

"That boy is nothing but trouble," Betty whispers to my mother but I hear her too clearly. I glance over at Miles with a small smile, realizing what we'll have to go through to stay together. Nothing is given, especially a relationship like ours. 

Betty has always kept her eyes on everyone and her nose in everyone's business and it doesn't surprise me if I'm next. It doesn't surprise me that my mother still keeps n touch with Betty. After my dad left, my mother was a mess. 

Betty and Jace's mother, Nancy were the only ones who took care of her. 

While Nancy took care of her during the day, Betty came during the night, making sure I was asleep before the two had their conversations. But I was never really asleep during any of that. Miles takes my hand and pulls it lightly right before my feet can unnoticeably take me into the church.

"Madison."

"Miles." I smile at him.

"We'll be late," I add and he rolls his eyes.

"This is fucking stup—" I glare at him and he stops.

"Amazing." He corrects himself and I roll my eyes.

"You know, you're just like me." He smiles.

"I know." I look into his eyes. As we hold hands, our feet take us into the church, at first, Miles is hesitant but after giving him a small glare he chuckles and pretends to enjoy the church. 

We sit down at an empty seat while my mother and Betty sit a few seats in front of us.

"This isn't so bad, is it?" I look at Miles with a sympathetic look and he gives me a small smirk before running his lightly tanned fingers through his hair.

"It doesn't have to be." He whispers into my hair as he leans toward me and a small smile appears on my lips, this time it's genuine and not sympathetic.

"Maybe . . . we could repeat last time." His voice is raspy and the sound runs through my whole body in a long shiver.

"I . . . I don't know." I reply, even though I'm unaware of what I'm trying to say and what words are coming out. Miles leans back to sit in his chair and with a slight glance around, he slowly runs his fingers from my knee and to my thigh, making me feel almost paralyzed to the electricity running inside me.'

"You sure baby girl?" He teases, his eyes are straight to the priest while his lips play a smirk that I know is directed at me. His fingers graze at the skirt I'm wearing and I gulp. 

I tug it down over my thick stockings, trying to avoid his playful fingers. His eyes remain on the priest as his fingers approach closer I close my eyes in the middle of it all and I feel his hand stop. 

I quickly open my eyes only to have them wide in horror.

"What do you think you're doing?" Betty says loudly, catching the attention of the priest and half of the church's visitors.

"We . . . I . . ." I struggle to even breathe, my mother approaches but Miles remains calm.

"None of your damn business." He says and I hear a few gasps and whispers behind us. I try to keep my tears from bursting but now that everyone is staring, I find it almost impossible.

"Get this boy out of here . . ." Betty looks around, her lips pursed into a thin tight line.

"You don't belong here," Betty says, her crystal blue eyes looking into the darkness that is Miles.

"You're a beast, sexually harassing young women and in a church." She says and I feel completely frozen.

"Fuck you. Fuck you all." Miles stands up and looks down at only me. He reaches his hand out and for a second I pause, I look at my mother unsure of what to do.

"Are you coming?" Miles asks, waiting with his arm extended in my direction. 

My mother's face is expressionless, almost as if she doesn't know how to react. Betty's strong eyes greet me with nothing but judgment piercing through all of the guilt inside of me.

"Let's go," I say quietly, placing my hand in his as we disappear through the tall doors.