Chapter 169

Stephanie calls again as I approach the dorm room but I don't bother to answer. These few minutes of nothing but thoughts in my head somehow feels good and I feel as though I need it; I need the thoughts about Mies.

"Madison." Stephanie looks at me, her eyes wide and her expression unsure as I open the door.

 Her eyes look to the side and mine follow only to see Jace standing there. Maybe I should have answered Stephanie's calls. 

My eyes scan Jace's face only to see that he clearly has something on his mind. My lips are pressed, trying to figure out if I should run out of the dorm or face whatever Jace wants to talk about. 

I'm still upset over his lying, getting to know that he and Rosie are more than friends from Cody who I barely know is slightly insulting. 

Jace has raved about me and Miles, but now he's in the exact same situation, and I can only hope he understands my side better, but based on his facial features, he can't.

"Can I have a second?" Jace looks at Stephanie who looks at me, asking if It's okay. I give her a small nod and she exits the dorm room. I sit down on my bed, my brow raised at Jace who owns a lot of questions in my head. He sits down next to me on the bed, making sure I can see his face perfectly clear.

"Listen, Madison . . ." He trails off but my mind slips away, thinking about Miles and the night we had yesterday.

Miles's POV

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. I breathe heavily, trying to fucking control my thoughts but I can't. 

I've ran up and down the stairs at least thirty times, walked the hall at least sixty times, and attempted to knock on her dorm for at least a couple of thousand times. 

And now, It's a thousand and one. My hand reaches up to the door but I can't it fucking drops back to my side.

"Oh, fuck this," I whisper to myself before opening the door. My eyes dart to the back of Madison's head and then to the fucker Jace who's sitting right next to her. On the bed. I raise my brow at them but they don't seem to notice until a fucking minute goes by, it's like I'm fucking invisible to her these days. 

Jace stops his rambling and his eyes dart to mine, but I don't look at him. I stare at her. Madison turns her head slowly, her eyes on the floor until she's fully turned around and then they dart to mine. She looks surprised as if she didn't expect me to come, to even be here. 

Of course, she didn't. She doesn't want me, not my past and not my future. And she has made that very very clear. 

Her eyes dart up to mine but she doesn't speak. Who was I fucking kidding? Of course. Of course, she's here with fucking Jace, why wouldn't she be? He'll fucking marry her, and I fucking let him, I let him be the one to take Angela's ring.

"Fuck this." I breathe too quietly for anyone else to hear but me. I turn on my heel and close the door behind me a little too hard but I don't care and neither does she. She didn't say anything after we fucked and she didn't say anything now, she clearly doesn't want me or this relationship; us. She doesn't want us, and it's all my fault, but it can't be saved. Not this time.

Madison's POV

"What do you want, Jace?" I shake my head at the closed door where miles disappeared from. My frustration and annoyance at Jace has gone up, especially since he's the reason Miles left, and without me being able to say anything. 

Jace lets out a deep and heavy breath before looking me deeply in the eyes, "You don't deserve that I lied to you." He says I press my lips into a line, wondering if I should stay here and listen or run after Miles, telling him that I love him and need him and can't be without him. My nerves start to shake and I feel my stomach turn with the anxious feeling swarming over me.

"Um, I . . ." I don't know what to say, my mind is on Miles and the steps he's taking right now to walk away, but even though my mind is chasing after every single step he's taking, my body is sitting right here, still, it can't move; I can't move.

"I shouldn't have lied, but it's much more complicated than her being my girlfriend, Madison, I'm . . . I'm . . . I need you." He breathes, his lips trying to fumble for words that clearly can't explain anything.

"I want someone like you, and because I can't have you . . . I know I need to move on, but I can't and that's why—"

"You're with her to pretend she's me?" I bark at him unexpectedly, surprising both myself and Jace.

"It's not that bad, she's just a friend who I hang out with sometimes, Madison, that's all it is." Jace explains and I nod.

2Well, Jace, then that's all it is.2 I repeat his words before jumping out of the bed and rushing through the door, down the hall. My feet smack the ground hard as I run down the hall floor. I finally reach the end but there's no Miles in sight.