Chapter 114

Miles's POV

I finally open my eyes and glance at the ceiling above me before realizing that I'm on the damn mattress—the one I swore wouldn't get touched. 

I grunt before looking at the door which to my fucking surprise, is closed. Maybe Angela finally decided to give it a chance. I smirk before sitting up and looking over at Madison—Madison who isn't here. I shake my head in disbelief.

"Fuck." I breathe before standing up. My jeans are tight against my body and my white underwear is peeking out right below my hard abdomen. I run my fingers through my hair before opening the door.

"Oh, sorry," I say as I almost collide with Angela.

"That's okay." She says, her cheeks a little flustered at the awkward situation. I give her a small smile that ends up feeling like a smirk before I ask, "Can I uh, take a shower?"

"Of course, I'll find you some towels and a toothbrush." She replies kindly and I nod before heading towards the small bathroom.

"Here." She hands me two small towels after running into the living room and back.

"Thanks," I say with a smile before finally entering the small bathroom. I let the shower water run and feel the warmth with my hands. 

The water is perfectly warm, and I step inside, washing my hair through with the shampoo that I got from a small bottle. After rinsing my hair, I wash off the rest of my body and as I do, I feel the water turning cold and quickly get out of the shower to avoid freezing to death. I quickly get dressed again and enter Madison's bedroom to find my t-shirt on her now made bed. I quickly put it on before Madison's mom can see more of my bare chest. 

My phone vibrates in the back pocket of my pants and I see my dad's name flash across it which only disgusts me. I put the phone down onto the bed and walk into the kitchen where Angela is stirring something. 

The last thing on my mind is my dad and it's always been the last thing on my mind ever since he fucking left. He had a choice then—one that he doesn't have now. I was on my mom's side for a while but even she slowly turned into a psychotic bitch.

"Do you know how to cook?" Angela asks me as I approach the kitchen. Her question almost makes me chuckle but I hold in the laugh.

"Of course I do." I smile at her and she nods with a smile of her own.

"We're making waffles for lunch, and preparing potatoes for dinner." She informs me and I nod before stepping closer.

"I'll stir this for you," I say, and her hands slowly lift up from the spoom as she looks up at me with a confused expression that quickly turns into a flattered smile. I take the warm wooden spoon in my hand and mix them in the white bowl.

"Where did you learn to cook?" Angela asks as she pours oil over a bunch of potatoes on a baking sheet.

"My, uh . . . my mom, she taught me when I was little," I explain and she nods.

"That's how Madison learned too, we used to cook all the time and she loved it more than anything." She smiles and so do I.

"Angela, I um, I really care about your daughter. I don't want to hurt her and I would really appreciate you understanding that." I say and she nods before sitting down at the dinner table while peeling carrots. She looks down at her feet for a quick second before her eyes meet mine again.

"I know you might be serious about her but Madison is different, she's special—"

"She's special to me too." I stop her, she doesn't get how much Madison means to me. Angela heaves a small sigh before continuing, "She's my only child and I need to protect her against everything."

"I know that you care for her but Madison isn't like the girls you're used to being around in Washington, she's not a party girl, she's sweet, innocent and she . . . she wants a family more than anything, did you know that?"

"I didn't," I admit with a clenched jaw.

"Do you want a family?" She asks me and for the first time, this question runs through my head. I've never seriously thought about a family especially after seeing my own go down in flames.

"I don't know," I admit again. My features are soft even though my blood is starting to boil. I don't know if I can give her marriage and kids, but I can give her my heart and everything that comes with it, the blood, the vessels, everything in me she can take. 

She looks down at her feet and I can tell she's thinking. The problem is, I don't want to know what she's thinking.

"Wait here." She says and abruptly stands to her feet before going into the living room. I hear her opening up a cabinet while I try to focus on stirring the waffle batter that has been ready for at least twenty minutes. 

Angela finally comes back after being in there for what felt like a good half an hour. She approaches me with a small smile on her face and takes my hand before opening up my fingers and exposing my palm before placing a thin ring with a small diamond in the middle.

"I can see you're ready to change for her and that's more than Peter was ever ready to do. When the day comes if it does . . . I want you to have this, Madison is my only daughter and there's nothing I can do with this ring. It's my grandmother's ring. She had the most beautiful marriage but my mother didn't and neither did I, I always thought that maybe it skipped a generation or two . . ." She looks up at me before continuing, "But I always hoped that Madison would be lucky enough. I don't know if you're good for her, but it's not my place, it's yours, and I hope you'll let her make you an honest man." She smiles and I nod.

I have no idea where the fuck my head has been for the past few days, hell, ever since I met this girl. And I can see that this is difficult on angela, and it's not my business to make it worse.

"I'll think about it," I say.