Chapter 153

"So what really happened?" Jace asks me as we walk toward a seating area outside. The sandwich in my hand is still warm and freshly made as we're still only a few feet away from the food truck.

"I don't know." I look down as we sit down in front of the college.

"Did he hurt you?" Jace asks and I almost giggle.

"No, it's more like, I uh, I didn't agree with something about him," I tell Jace, my mind running back to that night. 

The night when it was pouring rain, we had just bought my bikini and I thought I had tricked Miles but in the pool, when he lifted me onto him, his strong hands and firm grip on my butt as he placed me on his lap and he looked up at me with those dark hazel eyes before he let his lips hit my neck slowly. 

My breathing was so quiet but yet so loud and so heavy and the further down he went the more electricity I felt, until he hit whatever skin he could on my chest and then slowly with his lips, he pulled the zipper down, exposing my whole chest.

"Madison?" Jace asks, dragging me out of the thoughts that will now forever haunt me.

"W . . . what?" I ask, shaking my head slightly and looking up at Jace's new college. The building is tall and brick layed, slightly dark but yet light enough.

"Are you thinking of, uh, going back to him?" Jace raises a brow his blue-grey eyes looking deeply into mine, so deeply that I pray they won't see the memories behind my eyes. 

But I'm afraid he already has because he suddenly looks down as if realizing I'm still deeply in love with him and that my love will never ever end for Miles.

"No." I say and he qucikly looks back up at me, with a small sliver of hope that's instantly crushed when I say, "But I love him . . ."

"Even though our story has ended." I finish but his eyes stay fixed on his feet.

"I'm sorry to hear that." He says sincerely even though I can sense a small dose of sadness and regret in his voice. I don't blame Jace for his cold words, there's nothing we can do now, everything is over, everything that could have been between us is over. 

The ship has sailed and there's no more hope, I've met Miles and after Miles, nothing has stayed the same, not for me and not for Jace. The awkwardness between us grows with the wind and I'm starting to realize that I can't blame him and I can't blame myself. 

Nobody tells you how to deal with something like this. 

How to deal with the emotions that come with something so complicated which is exactly why I can't blame him for his cold words, I don't know how to act or what to say either.

"I, um, I'm going to the bathroom," I tell him, laying my untouched mozzarella and tomato sandwich down next to him and he nods slightly, not looking me In the eyes. 

I can't imagine how he feels but neither can he about the way I feel right now. I walk away, not turning back even though I feel his eyes on me now, finally, but it's too late, it's too late for him to notice me. It was too late for him to tell me he liked me in the bathroom of Miles's party, it was too late when I left for Washington, it was too late when he was driving me for the train station, and it's too late now. It's too late to try.

THE MINT COLORED bathroom is staring at me and I can only be so grateful that it's nothing like the pink-lit bathroom at Crystal's. 

There's nothing I want more than to forget everything about that day, and especially about the way Miles's hazel eyes looked at me when he agreed that we really should be over.