Chapter 36 (Bridget)

"Mr. Stoker is the Sith lord we've been looking for," Cole tells us after we get back from the play.

"Cole," Mr. Hayes says after a few moments of silence. "How are things at home?"

"Everything is fine at home!" Cole insists. Mr. Hayes takes him on a walk, and all of us let out a collective sigh of relief.

                                                                                        ***

After I exit my hotel room, the first thing I see is people moving Christmas lights out of JJ, Michael, and Mitchell's room. I enter the room just out of curiosity. There is a mini-fridge full of plastic Coke bottles. That's new.

"Ah, I see you found the stash!" Mitchell says from behind me. He shoves his hands into his jeans pockets and nods at the mini-fridge.

"I like your poster," I say. I point to the picture on the wall of Frosty the Snowman. "I used to watch that when I was little."

There's a speech bubble coming out of the Snowman that says: "What a nice thing to happen to a nice guy like me." Huh.

"This has to go too." One of the moving guys says to Mitchell, picking up the mini-fridge.

"No!" Cries Mitchell. "You at least have to let me keep my Cokes. I paid for those!"

The moving guy promptly shakes all of the soda bottles out of the mini-fridge before leaving the room.

"Well, that was rude," I say.

"I call not picking all of those up!" Michael says from across the room where he's talking quietly to JJ.

"You can't keep trashing our room like this, Mitchell!" Says JJ.

"I heard a crash and decided to investigate," Mr. Hayes says, walking in. Unfortunately, he steps on one of the bottles in the wrong place and gets Coke squirted all over his face. I wince, my poor teacher.

By the time I get to the breakfast buffet, I'm standing behind Mitchell in line.

"Hey, can you reach that donut for me?" A little kid asks Mitchell.

"Sure!" Mitch says before placing it on his own plate. "What a nice thing to happen to-"

Lilla storms over to interrupt. "Nope!" She says, snatching the donut off Mitchell's plate and giving it to the small child. She's been so stressed the past few days just because she's trying to keep everyone in line.

"Is this all worth it, Lilla?" I ask her. She doesn't answer me and walks away.

"Excuse me!" Mitchell says to a buffet employee. "Are you making any more donuts?"

"They'll be out in a moment," the employee assures him.

"What a nice thing to happen to a nice guy like me," Mitchell says happily.

I head over to my table with JJ and sit down.

"Mitchell said the same phrase twice in one minute," I tell him.

"Was it the nice guy thing?" JJ asks me, and I nod.

"It's his new strategy," JJ says.

"What in the world?" I respond. "He does not have strategies."

"Trust me," says JJ. "He has been after you this entire trip, and he's been trying new tactics almost every day."

"Oh yeah? Give me one example," I say, trying not to sound nervous. Part of me believes him.