Chapter 38 (Lilla)

Even though I'm on vacation, my morning routine doesn't change. On my last day in Toronto, I hit the hotel exercise room. The treadmills are taken by Michael, Megan, and Justin, so I stretch while I wait. And then I notice Cole sitting on a yoga mat with a sweatband, mediating.

"I might just run outside," I say to JJ, who is lifting weights. It's become a stress reliever for him.

"Don't go," Cole says, his eyes still closed. "Your presence is soothing."

"Ew, gross," I say. "Now I'm definitely leaving."

Just then, Mitchell waltzes in. Bold of him to do, considering how JJ has heavy dumbbells in each hand.

"What are you doing here?" JJ asks him.

"I came to lift," Mitchell says casually.

"Since when do you lift?" JJ asks, crossing his very cut arms.

Mitchell gasps like he's offended that JJ would even ask.

"Uh, all the time!" He eyes JJ's arms and swallows nervously.

Then, his gaze drifts over to where Justin is sprinting on the treadmill in his cross country uniform. It's not an unusual sight; he does it every morning. In fact, he has a cross-country scholarship to a university in Florida.

"And that's an image I'm never going to get out of my head!" Says Mitchell. "I'm going to leave on that note!" And then he's gone.

***

I'm thinking about Mr. Hayes' state of mind as I walk down the street of Clifton Hill with everyone. There are so many things wrong with his supposed radioactive acid exposure. Journey, who is leading the group, stops at a paintball building.

"Paintball, anyone?" She says. Some of us follow her in.

There are already many people in there, so we all get put on one team. This will not go well, considering that it's Justin and Jack with all the crazy people minus Cole. I have no idea where he is.

"Alright," says the paintball referee guy. "The rules are simple. If you get shot, even if it's friendly fire, you are out!"

Marco snickers after the guy says "out" because he says it with a very strong Canadian accent. I put on the special vest and hope no one dares to shoot at my designer pants.

"Ready to win it all?" Jason asks Mitchell.

Mitchell laughs bitterly. "I wish I could trust you."

I shove on the rest of my gear and wonder if I've made a terrible mistake.

The second the game starts, Liam shoots Jack in the chest.

"Haha! Double agent!" Liam says proudly. All of us groan.

"Why did I even come," Jack says to himself while staring at the bright orange spot on his black paintball vest.

"YOU ARE OUT!" The Canadian ref screams. I roll my eyes and try to immerse myself in the war. The battlefield zone is pretty cool, with many obstacles and hiding places.

I find myself hiding behind a fake boulder with Jason and Mitchell, even though I have no idea what their strategy is. And now we're face to face with members of the enemy team.

"I give you him!" Jason announces, shoving Mitchell down the fake hill to our enemies.

"Why?" I ask Jason tiredly.