Chapter 34 (Mitchell)

I wake up to a loud alarm in my ear.

"Mr. Stoker wants everyone down to the lobby for a very important announcement," Spencer tells me. I open my eyes to see that the alarm clock reads six o'clock. I groan and slap it out of Spencer's hand.

"Mitchell, if you broke that, I will-"

"We don't have time for this," Liam says sleepily. "Let's go downstairs and see what he wants."

Everyone is in a state of just waking up when we arrive at the lobby. Most of the girls didn't even bother to put on makeup, and I know that I didn't even brush my hair.

"Thank you, everyone, for coming," says Mr. Stoker. "Now, tell me what you think of this."

He pulls out a microphone: "Santa, bring my baby back to me, Santa bring my baby back to me,"

Everyone around me groans and heads back to the elevator. I, however, stay. I know exactly how to impress Bridget.

                                                                                           ***

"We should do Christmas in July!" I say to the people sitting at my table during breakfast. We all pretty much went back to sleep after the Mr. Stoker concert. They stare at me for a second.

"Nah," says Spencer, shoveling eggs into his mouth.

"There's not really a point," Ryan says with a shrug.

"Yes, there is!" I insist. She will appreciate me so much for creating the magic of Christmas.

"December really isn't that far away when you think about it," says Kate, cutting up her waffle. "Can't you just wait until then?"

"No!" I say in frustration. I guess I'm going to have to bring Christmas to them. Then they'll see a point.

I walk through a small grove of trees in the courtyard at the back of the hotel. The first step in Christmas in July is to get a Christmas tree.

"That's the one!" I say out loud. The tree is right next to the fence that surrounds the pool. It shouldn't be too hard to chop it down.

"That is a mighty fine lookin' tree."

"Thanks, Marcellus," I say. Wait, Marcellus? I turn around to see Cole's red-haired second cousin staring at me with a goofy grin. I haven't seen him in nearly a year.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him. "I thought you lived in Florida."

"It's a business opportunity," he explains, shoving his hands into his pockets. "I look forward to spending the rest of the trip with you all, though."

"Cool," I say. Wait, the rest of the trip!?

"I also wouldn't try to steal that tree if I were you," Marcellus adds. "My great uncle tried that once, and it was not pretty."

The whole group is gathered at the entrance when I get back, treeless, unfortunately.

"We're taking two groups to Toronto Island today," Mr. Hayes is saying. "The buses are smaller, so there isn't enough for all of us in one."

"I will be taking the first group," says a British man with brown hair. It's Calvin!

"Hey!" Says Jason. "Do you work two jobs?"

"Why do you live in Canada if you're British?" Becky asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I am from the great land of England," Calvin begins. I hear music playing and then snickering. Spencer is playing the English national anthem on his phone!