Your Guardian Devil

Content warning: This story contains a plot to do with attempted suicide. If this subject is triggering to you please proceed with caution or skip this chapter. 

You were completely sick of this...

Night after night you tried to jump from the bridge near your house and morning after morning you woke up, remembering having jumped but nothing after that.

Life hadn't gone your way, your parents abandoned you, your sister had been hit by a car as she was crossing the street, you couldn't keep a steady job and overall, you didn't see much sense and continuing to live with your uncle who couldn't bother to remember your name.

You stood on the side of the bridge, holding onto the pole next to you and staring out at the blue moon reflecting on the river, a tear streamed down your cheek at the frustration, the want to end your life and not being able to.

You waited, every night you waited to jump at exactly 8.34 for no particular reason but tonight you stopped and stood on the edge hoping that by waiting longer you wouldn't wake up in the morning.

"8.34 not working out for you?" A vaguely familiar British voice echoes from behind you.

You turn around, meeting eyes with a brown-eyed devil of a man, his suit dishevelled and hair a mess. "I'm glad you waited, I struggled to get here in time tonight." He rasped.
"W-who are you?"
"We've met before, when we were younger, at least you were younger, around 13-14, I appeared to be around 15-16." He mumbled the last part trying to recall it himself.

"You can't stop this you know... I don't know how you've been doing it the last a hundred nights but I will keep doing it or change how I'm going it until it works!" You shout at him.
"The name's Lucifer." You clench your eyes shut the sentence bringing you back to a muggy autumn night, you were walking down the street when someone appeared at your side.

"Hi there... I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you, I just saw you walking and felt like a walk myself."
"alright..." You hesitated, nervous about walking with a stranger.

The two of you talked for hours, walking up and down random streets, speaking of everything and nothing. As you sat by the town's river, he stood in front of you.

"The names Lucifer... can I show you something?" You nodded your head and before you, Lucifer's wings sprung from his back, pristinely white and glorious glowing under the moonlight.

"Can I show you something?" His question brought you back to the moment and Lucifer once again released his wings, larger than they were that night all those years ago as to fit his grown body.
"L-Lucifer." You choked on your words. "You disappeared."
"I'm sorry darling but I had to go, my father wanted me back. But I'm here now, I have been here, saving your life every night because you can't die on me." He moves closer taking his hand in your own. "I'm the ruler of bloody hell but I can't let you do this, I love you too much."

"You don't even know me..." You say under your breath.

"I've been watching over you every day, you just couldn't see it, I came back because I can't just let your take your own life when you could have so much to live for." He pulls you down from the edge of the railing before you could fight him.

"I can't do this, I can't stay here." You melt to the ground, his arms wrapped around you.

"Y/n, we're going to go pack your things, you're going to come and stay with me, we'll get you booked into a doctors and they can get you help." He sighs, letting you cry into his shoulder. "You're so bloody perfect, you have some much potential, I have to try.... I have to try to make you see it." Tears brim in his eyes as he holds you.

*3 years later*

With a lot of help and medication, doctors, therapists and so on, you improved, you got a solid job in a bookstore, stayed with Lucifer in his flat, started branching out and making friends and just experiencing life again, being able to let go of the emotions attached to the past.

You had fallen as madly in love with Lucifer as you would have if he had stuck around when you were younger, the two of you playing out slowly as to not push your boundaries. You were thankful to have someone that cared enough to get you help, to stand by you in your roughest times.

Lying in his arms at night was most secure you felt, tears escaping you every now and then knowing you could have been dead right now, but you weren't.

"I love you Lucifer..." You whisper to sleeping lucifer. "Thank you for being my guardian devil."

Mental health issues and Suicide are not romantic and in no way in this story do I intend to romanticise it, I experience these issues myself. This is just a story. Please if you have any of these thoughts contact this/ or other helplines and talk to someone.

Helpline number: +1800-778-7614

I'm always here to talk

~Brei