(31)Ink Blotted Coast (Part 1)

"Does this technique work with that spell from yesterday too?" I watched as the electricity sparked from one hand to the next, simultaneously creating a net of friction above my hands

Thanatos was seated on the carpet in my lounge, his back leaning against the couch. He watched as I manipulated the currents with my fingertips. He smiled softly; "It can, yes, but just be careful with the volume. This way of pulling energy from matter is a bit riskier than the original method."

Two weeks had passed since that faithful night he'd crawled into my bed; his eyes red with dry tears and not his usual mischievous sparkle.

Every day since then, he'd arranged a time slot in his busy schedule to teach me Blood magic- like he'd promised. At night, after my lessons and tasks were completed and most of his meetings were done, he'd escape to my flat. For the past fourteen nights, Thanatos hadn't slept in his own bed once.

It was sheer bliss.

We'd never spoke about that night when he'd cried, but over the last few days, I'd tried to guess what had caused his distress. A few days ago, he'd mentioned that he was feeling so well-rested, now that all his nightmares had seemingly stopped. From what Hypnos had mentioned to me before, I knew Thanatos had struggled with his insomnia for a very long time. He was plagued with visions and horrible dreams, but ever since this recent and intimate arrangement between us, he was sleeping so soundly at night. He barely tossed and turned; as soon as his head hit the pillow, he was out like a light.

My dreams were even better.

I couldn't wait to get back home at the end of a long day at Donata. Alexus and Conrad were growing rather suspicious of my good mood lately, but I sensed that Samaria sort of figured out why I was smiling so much. Earlier the week, she'd made a comment while I'd been humming to myself as I arranged Conrad's new shipment of poisons.

"Getting some, are we?"

I shot her a look and tried not to blush. "Do you ever think about anything other than sex?"

"Occasionally..." She giggled and winked at me.

I rolled my eyes with a smile and pushed the image of Thanatos away.

No, we hadn't gone in that direction yet... Yet. But it was fairly obvious how desperate he was for me. It was a mutual yearning, although, I had slightly more self-control, for now.

I wanted to get to know him a bit better first. Even though it was by far too late to guard my heart from him, because I knew after these overwhelming two weeks that I had fallen so deeply in love with him, I could however, still guard my body.

I knew I could trust him, but of course, there was still a small part of me that couldn't help but wonder if he would dump me like a hot coal the second I opened my legs.

I hoped to gods he didn't, because I was so close to giving him everything he wanted.

This was so unlike me. That same thought ran through my head on a daily basis. Some nights, when I was laying in his arms, his hot breath on my neck, I couldn't grasp how I'd allowed my icy heart to melt so easily. How did he get this right?