(12)Quaking Raven

I had screamed and kicked and screamed some more

I'd thrown a book at Hecate's head; perhaps a bit overdramatic, but honestly, my frustration with her had been building up for a while now.

Conrad and Samaria had tried to calm me down as I yelled at the esteemed goddess, but they were wasting their breath. Hecate simply stood off to the side of the small, dome study and watched patiently as I finished my rant. By the end, I was panting and red-faced; my thoughts and feelings hanging mid-air.

Hecate hadn't said a word the entire time; her eyes had remained on my face as she watched while I tore into her with my tongue.

"You're selfish." I finished with one more nail in the coffin and dared her to speak her mind like I had.

I was angry.

Angry that they'd stolen me away from my life, where I was content- perhaps not fully happy, but content, nonetheless- to be a part of this. A mess of lies and riddles where nothing made complete sense and I was shoved into every direction.

A place where I was meant to heal the monster that had taken control of everyone's lives and yet, at that party, I hadn't noticed one unhappy person all night.

How much of a help could I be to these people who clearly wanted nothing more than to serve and protect the very man who was supposed to finish them in the end?

All because she said so! Because she saw something no one else did.

So what if I felt an attraction to him- he was not my project to fix! He was a man, who made mistakes and who had to deal with them. As we've all dealt with our own mistakes.

"Aurora..." Samaria said softly as she tried to near me, her hand lifted to keep me calm.

I appreciate the help from her, but Sam had unfortunately been in the room when Hecate had told me of the news. The news that I was to be taught Blood magic by Thanatos himself.

How dare they take things this far without even consulting me?

What else did I expect from a goddess? All of them were the same. They did what they wanted, took who they wanted and there weren't any consequences, because what was I supposed to do? Say no.

No.

"Do you wish to be Archmage one day?" Hecate finally spoke.

I stared at her with narrowed, unbelieving eyes.

I was not about to barter. "I do, but not like this."

"I don't think you understand, Aurora." Hecate's voice turned bitter. "I am trying to help you. If you think that he won't send his guards after you the moment you don't arrive for your lesson, you are very much mistaken."

"All I agreed to do, was make an apology. Then it was done." I growled at her. "You are the one who's doomed me to more than one visit for who knows how long."